back to article Apple gets into Twitter data-mining biz with mystery Topsy buy

In an unanticipated move, Apple has acquired Twitter analytics firm Topsy – though what it plans to do with its latest purchase is anyone's guess. The Wall Street Journal reports that Cupertino recently snapped up the six-year-old venture-backed startup for more than $200m. Topsy specializes in analyzing data from the Twitter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It will be interesting to see what Apple does with this technology

It doesn't really seem to fit in with any product or service Apple currently offers. It may be for something they're doing that even the rumor mill hasn't managed to guess at yet.

Who knows, if Apple does do a TV someday, maybe this will be used to scrape tweets and tell you what people are watching/tweeting when you can't find anything to watch. That's pretty thin reasoning, I admit, but it was all I could come up even thinking about rumored Apple products/services :)

2. Al_21
    Meh

Call me cynical

... but something tells me this will make Topsy less useful for me.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well that's me out

I'm going to set up some nice bots to tweet disparaging remarks about Apple 24/7 now.

4. jubtastic1

Siri seems the best fit

I'd assume any software that can deal with Twitters feed can deal with Siri's raw data feed without breaking a sweat.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course the real story here is...

The last paragraph there, "Apple did confirm the purchase, a spokeswoman said...."

Wait, did Apple confirm directly to El Reg? Are they talking to you again?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like