back to article India's Martian MOM leaves the nest

India's Mangalyaan Mars Orbiter Mission, or MOM for short, is on its way to Mars. The cut-price probe has spent most of the last month whipping itself into a speedy frenzy, by looping about the Earth in a series of ever-higher egg-shaped orbits designed to give it enough speed to eventually fling itself in the direction of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TheRealRoland

I'm sure that for the Indian economy it was still a large amount of money. after all... it's all relative, right?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It's the third biggest economy in the world by purchasing power

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Could you please explain why the UK still sends aid to India...

... when they have sufficient income for their own space program (unlike the UK)

1. implicateorder

Re: Could you please explain why the UK still sends aid to India...

Because the Brits want to pretend that they have some leverage over India. The fact is that they don't. The UK should invest their "aid" instead in providing better education and food for their citizens.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Because the Brits want to pretend that they have some leverage over India."

Aid, in the case of countries like India is not about aid per se, it's more of a "diplomatic bribe" to get preferential trade agreements and so on. UK aid to India ends in 2015. The US have begun a shift from "aid" to "strategic partnership" and are reducing their "aid"

End of UK aid to India divides opinion

US aid to India drops by 16%

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

> preferential trade agreements

I love the smell of hardcore mercantilism in parliament. It covers up the Zombie Stench.

2. TheRealRoland

Let me put it in a different way - there's no 'first world' overhead applied to the stuff designed, built and bought. Or are people saying that they've cut corners, coming up with something that's held together with the proverbial duct tape instead?

I'm sure the Indian space program used its resources much more economical. No telephone sanitizers and account executives on the payroll. Or numbers were fudged. Or both.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

'first world' overhead

There is less "cost plus" to Boeing/Lockheed/Aerospatiale/Thales to subsidise their civil airline business or to cover up cost overruns on other military projects. But there are more direct "extra-contractual payments" to various government individuals.

Fortunately bribes are cheaper than boondongles.

2. Mark 85
    Flame

A 22-minute burn?

I'm curious how big the engine is and how much fuel it went through along with what the increase in velocity was. Seems a bit long for an engine burn to me.....

Icon since this is about burn time.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Joke

Re: A 22-minute burn?

The engine is based on high-tuk-tuk-technology - they run almost forever.

2. MajorTom

Re: A 22-minute burn?

If they could burn all that fuel quickly and be on their way in one go, I'm sure they'd do it.

But, a bigger engine might not have been available, or they chose a small one (that burns fuel more slowly) to save weight. With advance planning, it's really no big deal to make many small burns to increase the size of your orbit.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Well done those Rocket-wallahs!

Great effort.

4. An(other) Droid
    Go

Go MOM...

... Mars needs MOMs!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice one, India

But will miss the earthly egg-curry !

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong Priorities

Indian needs to stop spending money on space and use it to feed, educated and employ the masses !!

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Alien

Re: Wrong Priorities

You are right. By not going on this mission they could have spent a whole $0.06 per capita on education and the like. Besides, by developing the capability to launch hefty kit into any orbit they please (cheaply), they are not gaining access to any kind of useful market. After all, satellites aren't money spinners, and level-headed business men like Elon Musk steer well clear of this kind of frivolous, money-wasting projects.

Aliens, because, well, it's about Mars, init?

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

IndianAmerica needs to stop spending money on space and use it to feed, educated and employ the masses

Fixed it for you.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Did you know that India uses its space technology to provide services to other countries? They've launched satellites for other countries using their PSLV launch system?

See this as their marketing investment effort to attract potential customers!

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Facepalm

Nein du! Hinein in die Arbeiterfront!

the state shall .... employ the masses !!

The stupid, it burns. And not in an orbital change sense either.

Oh well, okay then. First you need an appropriate logo, some weird cross or agricultural implements might do.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My favourite line

"The burn also pointed the probe in the general direction of Mars, "

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Re: My favourite line

..."The burn also pointed the probe in the general direction of Mars, "...

Actually, it pointed the probe along a curved course to where Mars will be in a little less than a year's time...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MMOM

I dont claim to be an expert on abbreviations, but shouldn't the abbreviation for "Mangalyaan Mars Orbiter Mission" be MMOM?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My indian MOM is so hardcore

that she goes all the way to Mars just to get that right red colour for her dishes.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'an attempt to find methane and other signatures of life'

Methane isn't necessarily created by biology, whilst most of it here on Earth is bacterial, some is produced abiogenically in geothermal areas.

The aim of this mission is to try and locate where the Martian methane is coming from as it appears to be largely localised into plumes. The second aim is to see if there are other gases associated with the plumes as these would help explain its origins. Again here on Earth, biological methane tends to be associated with tiny amounts of ethane, whilst geothermal methane is emitted along with sulfur dioxide.

But hats off to the Indians if they can first of all get to Mars and then find methane at levels of parts per billion and report the findings back across a couple of hundred million kilometres when I can't find my bloody headphones...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like