Am I better off not hiding

This topic was created by Simon Rockman .

1. Simon Rockman

Am I better off not hiding

If I install one of these : https://pogoplug.com/safeplug

Will my ISP suddenly think "Hmm, he's up to no good we better watch him". Or will they not know about it?

Simon

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Am I better off not hiding

They'll know (or be capable of noticing), but aren't likely to care.

The question is, why spend out money on that when you can just as easily set up Tor yourself? That's all it's using.

Bear in mind the latency that Tor tends to introduce too

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Your ISP won't care what you do online, however there is always the risk that the NSA / GCHQ probably will take an interest.

3. normanpritchard59
    Big Brother

The thing is, naughty simon's watching nudie mags is not really a problem . There will be a problem, say, if you want to do to the politicians what Vlad Dracula did to politicians, Or if you say you want to do that on social networks.

Millions of people cannot be monitored even with German efficiency. It just doesn't make sense. The costs involved make it prohibitive. But a good vpn is always a good idea. But, then, what if the vpn provider is too willing to help the police (or worse still hackers). Your vpn should never expose you to new threats.

But if you are caught, say downloading movies, they will fine for say a hundred such offences. Because the thinking will be that you were NOT caught 99 times doing what you were.

If they are monitoring you, you are in trouble anyways. In which case your asking the question doesn't make much sense

4. Conundrum1885

Personal experience

I had the misfortune to receive a warning letter before.

The thing is the file downloaded was actually on Sky at the time and I had a valid up to date subscription, so had they actually tried to prosecute they would have run into a brick wall namely "intent to permanently deprive" would be invalid as no actual goods were taken, and "downloading without copyright holder's consent" would be nebulous at best due to early comment.

Needless to say no issues since, though I have now recommended the use of a certain popular non-bloated torrent app over the one which clearly had phonehomescumbagware embedded in it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon