back to article Vietnam tightens noose on web freedoms with new decrees

Vietnam has introduced severe financial penalties in its ongoing bid to stifle web freedoms, including a fine of $US5,000 for anyone using social media to spread propaganda against the state. The ominous-sounding Decree 174 follows up on Decree 72, which came into force in September and limits the use of blogs and social media …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon Pryra

So?

Non of this stops the UK trading with Vietnam, and we will happily go on holiday there.

This story makes us feel a bit better about being us I guess, but otherwise, its just content filler in the scheme of things

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In the UK

The Government are learning fast.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad news

If they carry on like this their internet will soon be restricted to the same level the UK government is planning, they haven't been talking to Cameron have they? lmao!

3. Alan 6

I notice that the UK is 29th in the press freddoms chart, down one on last year.

With rumours of certain ministers putting pressure on broadcasters and the press over the reporting of protests and the past misdemeanours of high ranking cabinet members then I fully expect a much lower position next year

4. John Savard

Obvious Conclusion

Now would be a good time for the United States to properly honor the brave men and women who gave their lives in resisting Viet Cong aggression against South Vietnam by carrying out regime change in Vietnam. After all, now one has a government to overthrow, not a guerilla war to fight.

1. mrfill

Re: Obvious Conclusion

When you do, could you please not lay waste to Laos and Cambodia with your illegal chemical weapons again.

It's a brave country that uses napalm against civilian children.

5. Gert Leboski

'Nam is one of many hostile net countries.

In order of the number and severity of probes and attacks that I see on my home firewall, I have blocked the following countries by IP ranges.

China

Russia

Ukraine

Vietnam

Latvia

Korea (South)

Okay it's not an exact science but it has decreased the number of IP addresses appearing in my adaptive bruteforce block tables by 90-odd percent.

So, I have little sympathy for the "citizens" of these countries.

The other frequenters of the aformentioned bruteforce block tables are generally Amazon AWS instances. AWS lets any dodgy so-and-so rent compute power with bent credit cards, it seems.

1. Gordon Pryra

Re: 'Nam is one of many hostile net countries.

@Gert

You do realize the majority of attacks that originate from the UK the USA are routed through these countries?

Keep them black listed but its best to look at the guy on the train next to you rather than blaming the people in these places.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Decree 174 follows up on Decree 72"

Kinda makes you wonder what was in the intervening 101 decrees...

7. Andrew Meredith

Watch this space

With stuff like “Framework National Statute for the Promotion of Tolerance” (Google it .. a classic 1984 style piece of literature) coming down the track, it seems the EU are learning their lesson well.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like