back to article 'Schrödinger's Comet' ISON LIVES (or DOESN'T) after Thanksgiving solar roast

Global mourning for the fiery death of Comet ISON on its nearest pass to the Sun may have been a bit premature, as boffins now reckon that a small part of the space rock could have survived its brush with death. Youtube Video Keep watching for what may be a debris trail... or the surviving comet Comet ISON was due to hit its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alister
    Thumb Up

Lets face it, there's not many websites, or news outlets, who could manage to include references to a famous thought experiment and a mangled quote from Shakespeare in a single article headline about a comet.

Congratulations...

2. Vulch

Ob. XKCD

From today, http://xkcd.com/1297/

3. Simon Harris
    Coat

'Schrödinger's Comet'

IsOn...

IsOff...

IsOn...

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

Re: 'Schrödinger's Comet'

No, no, no!! Quantum theory states:

1/√2 | IsON ⟩ + 1/√2 | IsOff ⟩

Until the observers can reach agreement, I suppose

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The End Is Nigh, I mean Nought, I mean Nigh.......hmmm, check back in a few hours......

1. Vic

> The End Is Nigh

What, Right Nigh?

Vic.

[ Well, Ronnie actually ]

5. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

I know how to save the Earth

All this money being poured into finding Near Earth Objects, so we know if any are on a collision course can be drastically cut. All we need to do is spot them with at least a month or two to go before they hit.

Then just tell the press that it's going to be the comet of the century, with big light shows in the sky...* Once it's been announced that something will be naked eye visible it is impossible that this can ever happen - the laws of journo-astronomy forbid it. Thus it's impossible for anything to hit the Earth.

* Well OK, tell them to expect pretty lights, and the journalists will write 'comet of the century' headlines whatever you do.

6. Tom 13

I think it's probably still best to keep Bruce on stand by,

and have a plentiful supply of wooden stakes in case we've got the wrong comet movie.

1. Tom 7

Re: I think it's probably still best to keep Bruce on stand by,

always keep Bruce on standby - never on set please.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

It's ALIVE!!! ALLLIIIVVVEEEE!!!

Maybe.... I want my Christmas light show! Which could be especially nice since I will be visiting family who live in a fairly rural area and have their own amateur observatory. Now all we need are a viable comet and no cloud cover.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile......

The alien spacecraft drops into a low solar orbit refueling its weapon systems before the assault...

1. hamcheeseandonion
      Pint

Re: Meanwhile......

...Naw mate...

that was the Southern Hemisphere Interstellar Trucking Team Emergency Roaster. SHITTER to you poms...they just had to pop in for a quick barbie and a few tinnies, before shooting off to crush some poor unfortunates at rugby...league or union....seems they're keen to tackle a few Posleen....that stuff flying out the back?...empties mate...

This topic is closed for new posts.