back to article UK parents to splurge £3 BEELLLIIIION on kids' tech gifts at Christmas

Parents will spend over £3bn on the latest tech gadgets for their little nippers this Christmas, spoiling them absolutely rotten. Nearly 85 per cent of parents will spend £243 on electronics for their kids for the holidays, while the rest will spend over £400 on the lucky blighters, according to recent research from uSwitch. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And...?

What about the cost of the presents we buy for our loved ones in the hope that they can't use them and they give them back to us? The ones that we would have bought for ourselves in the first place?

now where's that gadget I wanted..?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And...?

Do a Homer Simpson and engrave your name on it!

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Windows

Bah humbug

Once again showing that Christmas is no longer a Christian religious festival, but an excuse to spend, eat & drink too much.

1. Ralph B

Re: Bah humbug

But to be fair, it was already "an excuse to spend, eat & drink too much" long before Christmas was invented.

2. qwertyuiop
      FAIL

Maybe if Christians hadn't attempted to hijack Saturnalia - a Roman feast dedicated to eating, drinking and gift-giving - they wouldn't have this problem. Most of us are doing what it says on the tin!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"but an excuse to spend, eat & drink too much"

Feast of the turnover, mate.

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Religious humbuggery?

I think it's great that religion is being pushed out of xmas. Avarice and naked capitalism aren't all that much better, but I'm down with almost anything that reduces the influence and reach of authoritarian xenophobic moral absolutists. Down with that sort of thing.

Personally, I celebrate the solstice. Because science.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Parents will spend over £3bn on the latest tech gadgets for their little nippers this Christmas, spoiling them absolutely rotten, thinking that their children will love them more whilst using the tech as a baby sitter!

I guarantee they'll love you more without the tech and spending more TIME with them playing games TOGETHER, not in front of a screen.

Tragic!

4. Alister
    Coat

Ernest Doku, telecoms expert at uSwitch

I just wondered, is his wife called Su?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I just wondered, is his wife called Su?"

Probably. But he no longer uses the title of "count" after people started getting the wrong impression when he told them he'd dropped an "o".

2. Pedigree-Pete
      Joke

No, but if he receives a knighthood he could be known as Count....

Mines the one with the light-sabre in the pocket..

5. Maharg

My brother has convinced his wife that getting the kids a PS4 and setting it up on a TV in the extension is a good investment, needless to say when we go to his house on Christmas and the kids go to bed our respective partners will not see us for a number of hours, I don’t care how old I am, I will not let my little brother beat me on Fifa…

1. You have not yet created a handle
      Thumb Up

Rich....... Is that you??

1. Maharg

My answer depends on if you are my brother or my brothers wife

6. Suburban Inmate

I'll be spending BUGG£R ALL

Haven't caused kids, don't want to cause kids. 31 years not out, woohoo!

However I will be giving my time and tech skills to Crisis At Chritmas.

This topic is closed for new posts.