back to article Google decides Chromecast TV-stick apps are a whole NEW THING

Google is making it simpler to find media apps for Chromecast: just as another startup seeks to confront the ad giant in the TV dongle market with its own crowd-sourced option. Google has added a section to its Play Store that appears designed to group media streaming apps, suitable for its Chromecast HDMI-n-USB dongle, for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Jones 2

Most importantly - the section appears in the UK.

It could finally make it's way to the UK!

2. h3

Do any of these solutions work better than the Windows 8.1 Miracast ? (Those dongles seem to be also dirt cheap).

3. h3

Don't think I am going to buy into any more Google stuff than I have already. Weary of too much by one company.

1. Nifty Silver badge

Yup, buy into something else... then Google gobbles it.

Waze, Motorola...

4. silent_count
    Thumb Up

*If* this isn't vapourware...

It will prove very popular

5. Al_21

All it needs is a

PS3 MediaServer app or a similar app and it'll do well. That's the lifeline of my home entertainment.

Streaming videos, pictures (and music I guess while you're at it) from Windows, Android, iOS, OSx and Linux is what's missing.

1. Nifty Silver badge

Re: All it needs is a

Exactly, and what is really wanted is a low power consumption, zero footprint equivalent in a USB stick. Hence the crowdfunding.

6. Drat

7 Apps in USA

The USA has Hulu+, NBA Go and Pandora radio for Chromecast. I know that doesn't help us here in the UK but at least that is a sign that more apps are getting Chromcast support.

I personally think Google has got it just about right with Chromecast. "On TV" browsing for content is fine if done right and with small/medium libraries but when you try and do it with large selections (Netflix for example) they become clunky pretty fast. Streaming from a phone/tablet to a TV works OK but you might not get the best quality and the phone is tied up generating the video. So Chromecast uses the best browsing device (your phone) and the best playing device (your TV), for me it works great with the current Apps. What we do need is wider support else it will flop. Give me support in iPlayer, 4OD, Demand 5, Plex and then something that can stream local media (videos, photos etc) and I will be happy, give me TVCatchup, XBMC, Blinkbox etc and I will be very happy.

7. Selden

The number varies

The number of Chromecast-enabled apps is changing rapidly, and depends on where and when you look. As of November 29 @ 0900 EST, there are 29 Android apps for Chromecast in the Play Store. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=chromecast&c=apps

8. Chris Phillips

PLEX!

Woo get in! Made my day that has! I thought it was going to never happen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like