back to article Happy Thanksgiving, Apple. Now how about THREE more patent legal battles for dessert?

Apple was this week hit with a number of patent infringement lawsuits regarding its sensors designs, Wi-Fi connectivity and even chirpy Siri. The first legal challenge comes from a firm called DSS Technology Management, which claims Apple's iMac, Mac mini and the upcoming Mac Pro computers infringe two of its patents. Both …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

Such original inventive steps...

... exactly the sort of thing deserving of patent protection...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Employ me at the Patent Office

I'll shred the four million or so bogus software ones and get on with innovating.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

East Texas?

Just about says it all then.

Not a lot more needs to be said.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch
      Mushroom

Re: East Texas?

Loathe though I am to regurgitate an over-used quote, I can't quite help myself: I say we take off and nuke the entire state from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

1. Thorne
        Mushroom

"Loathe though I am to regurgitate an over-used quote, I can't quite help myself: I say we take off and nuke the entire state from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

I could use the same rational to nuke the whole of America.....

2. PhilBuk

Why not just give it back to Mexico? Should be fun.

Phil.

4. Tom 35

Get back under your bridge

"Apple has intended, and continues to intend, to induce patent infringement by its customers,"

So they think they can patent what the end user is doing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Get back under your bridge

So they think they can patent what the end user is doing?

If they could then they would at at least $100 a pop.

A good number of these patent cases rely on something like this

1) Company A buys a widget from Company B that includes some patented and licensed tech.

2) Company A sells enhanced widget to Company C.

3) Patent owner goes after Company C for infringement even though they have been paid a fee already by Company B.

I call this double dipping.

Buying something legally from soneone who is legally selling it and the technology within it does not stop a 3rd party from coming after you.

5. Bladeforce

If you troll your patents..

expect the patents to be trolled

1. Thorne

Re: If you troll your patents..

Actually the problem is Apple has a lot of BS patents and thus spends it's money preventing patent changes to kill BS patents and ends up getting sued over other BS patents.....

Karma is a bitch......

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

@ Thorne

Sorry, what?

1. Thorne

"Sorry, what?"

Let me rephrase

Those who live by the bullshit, die by the bullshit......

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Indeed. Sympathy felt for Apple is negative. Glee. I feel glee.

Maybe if they become target of enough patent trolls, Apple will stop being one themselves and start pushing for reforms too.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

@Trevor & Thorne

I see your point, but I'm not sure it's right to paint Apple as a patent troll. To my mind a patent troll is a company that develops nothing itself, simply buying up patents in order to sue. They make the majority of their money by suing other companies. Apple is essentially a rebranding house that pours huge amounts of money into design and marketing, so it kinda makes sense that most of their patent lawsuits focus on design.

The real fault lies with the patent office in granting patently (ahem) absurd patents in the first place.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

They patented rounded corners. Also ridiculous software bullshit like "bounce back on scroll." All of which was invented by others.

Apple are a patent troll. I don't care if they make widgets too, they're the trolliest troll this side of trollsville and I hope they die by that particular sword. All umpteen billion worth of cash they have locked away tightly from taxes.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prior art?

Another lawsuit has been filed by Voice Domain Technologies, this time in Massachusetts. It claims voice-controlled personal assistant software Siri infringes patent number 6,281,883, which is called "Data Entry Device" and relates to "a data entry system comprising a handheld peripheral and a processing system wherein the handheld peripheral comprises a microphone for providing a microphone signal representative of a user's voice".

My Nokia 3310 was a handheld peripheral and processing system comprised of a microphone providing a signal representative of my voice, to a processing system that either recorded or matched voice tags of people I wanted to call. It could also link up via the cellular networks to other processing systems such as automated voice-activated menu systems for more advanced processing.

7. chipxtreme

All patents sound like the typical load of horse $hit, but apple gets away with it all the time so got zero sympathy. They won't be able to write Judge Koh and cheque for this one

8. csumpi
    Mushroom

have some of your own medicine

bitches

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: have some of your own medicine

Did you pay your royalties to Mark Zuckerburg for the reference to the word "bitch"?

9. Frankee Llonnygog

Suing Apple for using Bluetooth?

Strewth

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

any patent using words with more than 3 syllables

should result in automatic rejection of said patent

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: any patent using words with more than 3 syllables

Well that's the word 'automatic' banned then

11. Stratman
    Devil

Patent trolls versus Apple

Is there any way they can both lose, yet it still costs them millions and millions?

I'm normally against m'learned friends and their fees, but I'll make an exception in this case.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like