back to article Why BURN Facebook after reading when you can 'save it for later'?

Facebook is reportedly working on a new feature that allows its users to save links to news stories that are shared on the free content ad network so that they can return to read them later. Such a stickability tactic would clearly mean that Facebookers would hang around longer, or come back more frequently to the site. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. btrower

Missed the Mark

Pun intended.

Re:"Meanwhile, youngsters are saying that it's boring and no longer a cool place to chat to mates as everybody's mums and dads are also signed up to Facebook"

Zuck made a prescient choice when he chose to make people unable to protect their privacy. At the time, growth was a matter of life or death. Growth and critical mass has been accomplished and they have been slowly making it more possible to protect privacy. However, they need to go to a much more sophisticated and easy to use permission system that gives back users they type of control they would need to, for instance, allow their parents to be 'friends', but not that kind of friend, if you know what I mean.

I am surprised that facebook has not moved quickly to capitalize on consolidating network effects. They should, by now, be able to target ads so well that they practically only ever serve an ad that is both unobtrusive and effective.

Microsoft has provided a template for 'embrace and extend' and facebook should be all over that. Twitter functionality can easily be put into facebook as can blogging, forums, snapchat, etc. They should offer outrageous stock deals to lure away the very best talent for two reasons:

1) It strengthens them and their product

2) It weakens their competitors and their product.

Now that they have the numbers, facebook should be looking toward the endgame where they truly partner with and empower users such that users have entire control over their facebook presence and associated data and so that users can start to develop anonymous identities and communities. Doing this will make it impossible for governments or other competitors to step into the breach because no breach will exist.

Facebook has the audience to put up a catalog of products people are buying anyway. They have the funds and the reach to cut a deal with UPS similar to Amazon. Because any revenue from such an activity is just 'gravy', they can afford to buy for the maximum price breaks and only offer things at margins so small that even companies like Amazon have no way to compete.

Facebook right now has the very hardest thing to acquire: a relationship with an audience of engaged users. As they are discovering themselves, even with this enormous advantage, it is hard to even keep the audience. Relationship is everything and they have an insuperable advantage right now, but it will melt away like myspace did if they do not fight to keep it. They appear to have been coasting and that is the very worst thing they can do.

1. FunkyEric

Re: Missed the Mark

I wouldn't so much put it as "coasting" as this implies a lack of desire to do anything. They have just become so big that doing *anything* involves too much "process" and as such takes wayyyyyyyy too long. If it ever happens. The joy of being a big company without a charismatic dictator as a leader.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Missed the Mark

re: margins

You seem to have forgotten that Amazon sells some products at a loss. Remember the iBooks lawsuits?

2. Russ Tarbox

How on earth is it like Yahoo in 2000?

Am I missing something?

1. monkeyfish

Re: How on earth is it like Yahoo in 2000?

I'm guessing it's because they are trying to be all things to all people? Yahoo (and AOL) attempted to keep you only on their site by providing all kinds of services like news, messaging, email, search, all inward pointing links. Facebook does email, messaging etc on top of the social network thing, now they've added news to that too.

3. Graham Marsden

" free content ad network"

Why do I keep reading that as "content free ad network"?

1. Tromos

Re: " free content ad network"

Probably because so many have made that comment that the text is now burnt on the back of everyone's retina.

4. armyknife

Titles are for toffs.

Doesn't matter, it's served its purpose, namely enable those in the know and in the financial sector to make a killing.

Now that peoples' pension funds have been 'invested' in the long term pig in a poke, the pump and dump merchants/bankers/internet entrepreneurs have moved on to the next big thing. Few weeks ago it was Twitter, a company with no significant revenue nor clear idea of how to make a profit.

Next month, next year it'll be some other example of irrational exuberance, thought I'm pretty sure the modus operandi of those on the inside is carefully thought out and entirely legal.

5. solo

Modern app

Technology is so advanced today that we can save links, thanks to FB.

1. DaddyHoggy

Re: Modern app

My mum is 60+ years old - she's joined Facebook, for her Facebook IS the Internet, she doesn't go anywhere else, I don't think she's aware that the rest of the Internet actually exists.

She touches an icon on her smartphone (also a recent purchase) and she's on Facebook/Internet, since I seem to spend what little time I now interact with FB simply blocking requests from friends about playing games or installing FB apps, I now actually hardly "use" Facebook.

I don't believe this shift is atypical, so if FB can encourage the older generation to stay put then all the better for them - the 50+s are, apparently "happier" and have more disposable income - exactly what FB want - happy people with money to spend who won't go elsewhere...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like