back to article Singaporean finn-off 'Newkia' readies Android phones

Singapore-based smartphone biz Newkia, started by a former Nokia APAC boss, has named its first global CEO to help it realise a mission to launch the Android handsets the Finnish firm never could. Urpo Karjalainen, who was marketing and sales VP for Nokia in APAC in the 90s and recently BlackBerry’s APAC MD, will take the helm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sil

Troubles

Calling a phone company Newkia is asking for trouble if you ask me. The big litigation firms must be salivating already.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Troubles

They should have called it jellyfish...

2. Ralph B

> Calling a phone company Newkia is asking for trouble if you ask me

True. Potential litigants include Nokia, Microsoft, Nokian Footwear and Kia Motors. Maybe they should make it a class action.

1. squigbobble

Nokian tyres too.

Moreover, they should be proud of the Finnish heritage of their old company and call it Uuskia or something like that instead of anglicising everything like it's cool.

1. Mookster
          Headmaster

'cept that the world will pronounce it Uskia instead of ooze-kee-ah. Minä en Usko.

2. Captain DaFt

"True. Potential litigants include Nokia, Microsoft, Nokian Footwear and Kia Motors. Maybe they should make it a class action."

Forget them, How do you think the 'terrists' fearing Government of the US are going to respond to a foreign group openly announcing their intent to "Nuke Iowa"?

(IA is the postal code for Iowa, for those not in the states)

3. Fihart

If you ask me, calling anything Newkia is asking for trouble from Health & Safety.

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: calling anything Newkia is asking for trouble

Especially if they release a "brown" variant.

2. Fihart

NCKLA NOKIA NOKOFF not NEWKIA

Have to like the Chinese for their cheek. This thoroughly awful E71 nok-off.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/27/keepin-it-real-fake-part-cxciii-nckla-e71-ls-tcc-gccd-tc-b3-t/

Even comes with a battery that exactly matches Nokia's BP-4L graphics and connector. £2 in flea market, I'm using it now in my genuine E71.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This sounds like it could perfect for me Nokia hardware is ace but crippled by the os (im on a cheap lumia from tesco nice phone just no apps that work properly ie facebook, the register, the guardian and so on)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like