back to article PS-PHWOARRR: We review Sony’s next-gen PlayStation 4

Taking the PlayStation 4 out of its box, my first thought was that it’s monolithic: the kind of object that 2001: A Space Odyssey’s hairy, belly scratching apemen would have danced around in worship. Sony PS4 Black monolith: Sony’s PlayStation 4 The console’s perpetual forward slant lends it an overtone of kinetic energy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advising SSHDD rather than SSD - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGjSJwlHK6M

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IN YOUR FACE MICRO$OFT

2. MrWibble

"Then there’s the PS4’s much-hyped ability to let gamers play PS One, PS2 and PS3 games remotely with cloud-gaming service Gaikai.... All those grumbles about backward compatibility? Gone"

Ah, yes, I assume it'll be making me *rent* the same game that I've already purchased...

1. Slacker@work

I for one...

wont be upgrading until Gaikai is available along with the media capabilities - the PS3 lives on!!

2. JDX Gold badge

re:I assume it'll be making me *rent* the same game that I've already purchased...

It'll also let ME rent games I never purchased. And you don't need to keep those old games to have a lciense either.

Anyway this is a stupid argument. You wouldn't claim it's unfair you have to buy a separate XBox/PC version to play the same game on multiple platforms.

If you already OWN the games, just use your old console and stop complaining about something the rest of use will find useful.

3. auburnman

"Ah, yes, I assume it'll be making me *rent* the same game that I've already purchased..."

I think we did this to ourselves when we showed how hungrily we would eat up PS1 classics on the store and repurchase the HD remasters of the PS2 greats.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But.. but... all PS3s play PS1 disc games.

(Not a lot of people seem to know that)

4. RyokuMas
      FAIL

Meh, already playing all my old PS One games on my PC with emulator, thanks...

1. pewpie
        Terminator

You are a traitor to gaming humanity and should be destroyed on sight. How dare you use technology for yourself..

The shamelessness of some people... sheesh.

3. Annihilator
    Happy

Audiophile

"The console’s perpetual forward slant lends it an overtone of kinetic energy like a work of vorticist art."

Let me guess, you also do hi-fi reviews?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Audiophile

I think the Vorticists must have been gamers - hence the motto, "Blast First".

4. Pahhh

I will get one because....

I want a PS4 because its new and shiny. I'm a Sony fan-boy. It is a bit difficult to justify though.

As my 6 year old 50" plasma HDTV has no media capabilities my PS3 has been an excellent media center, initially also used as a bluray player and of course a game console. Its been quite frankly indispensable.

But if I purchase a PS4 I can expect the wife to say "so what does it do different?". I need to come up with some justification other than its new. So far the only reason i can think of is the new version of Assassins Creed which my son likes (but hold no interest to me).

Ideas?

1. TheProf
      Devil

Re: I will get one because....

Because you're worth it!

2. ColonelClaw

Easy. The PS4 is one better.

1. jai

because next year you'll get to play WatchDogs and StarWars Battlefront and the new FF and the new MGS, etc etc

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@jai

Agreed about Watch_Dogs, that game looks very interesting (pre-ordered it myself). But the thing is: you can also play that on your PS3 or Xbox360 :-)

1. jai

Re: @jai

good point. but Uncharted 4 will be on PS4, so that swings the vote for me.

(well, i'm a lifelong sony fanboy, so that also swung the vote somewhat too if i'm honest - but if i wasn't....)

3. Benchops

Just buy one, then send it back unopened with a post-it saying "Wife says no" on, and hope for the best...

4. MJI Silver badge

Easy Naughty Dog have announced an Uncharted for it.

You can also play a decent FPS not full of shouty sweary kids.

You can wait excitedly for the new Infamous.

Order 1886 looks like it could be really good

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

Glad I'm not married!

I just plunked down $300 for a 3D mouse to play Kerbal Space Program, and the game isn't even going to support it until the next release. I can imagine I'd hear the noise about that, but it's my one xmas gift for myself, dammit! No justification necessary!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

Re: Glad I'm not married!

I think I can see why you're not married.... :-)

6. DiViDeD

Chaps, your arguments are all good if you want to persuade the OP to get one. The problem is to find something his WIFE will find compelling. I don't think 'I'll be able to spend hours and hours on it playing immersive FPS's while you are reduced to watching Trinny & Susanna's Big Brother Bake Off on the 18 incher in the bedroom' quite cuts it with today's modern liberated woman somehow.

Ah. 18 inches in the bedroom. I see what I did there.

1. Simon Westerby 1

You sad it yourself... "because its new and shiny"

Women love that kind of crap... well they tend to buy things themselves based on that....

Good look if you try that angle tho... and may the force be with you ;)

7. Sean Timarco Baggaley

'But if I purchase a PS4 I can expect the wife to say "so what does it do different?"'

May I suggest ask your wife why she is fine with spending hundreds – if not thousands – of quid on shiny lumps of rock artfully nailed into equally shiny bits of metal, or ooh-ing and aah-ing over a pretty arrangement of vegetable genitalia... yet she believes YOU are the shallow one for wanting to spend a few hundred quid on a new home entertainment* centre that actually does something besides merely looking shiny.

* a concept that also includes games. There's no need to make a distinction.

8. naw

"But if I purchase a PS4 I can expect the wife to say "so what does it do different?". I need to come up with some justification other than its new. "

Well you could always use the argument that because the product has been launched prematurely, you will be spending much less time using it and more time with her ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Perhaps she's too used to your toys being launched prematurely already

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"There's more to gaming than graphics"

Something i have heard many times from console owners when arguing their merits over PC gaming. The moment a new console is released however, the first points are always:

"oooh look at how good the graphics are"

1. Piro Silver badge

There's a simple name for that phenomenon.

Peasant logic.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ho hum

I predict a lackluster Christmas for Sony. The PS4 would be a good console for someone who has never had one before, but lets face it, the PS3 is very good, as is the Xbox, and I can't see Mr and Mrs Cash-strapped Family forking out a ton of money for it. One to watch in the sales I think.

Amusingly, if Apple had produced the PS4 they would have probably delivered the same amount of function but in a significantly better looking package, and we'd all be queuing up to buy it. that big black box is fricking uuuugggglllyyyy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ho hum

The design does sort of scream 1980s supercomputer. I could imagine seeing a Cray sticker on there somewhere.

1. Zingbo
        Happy

Re: The design does sort of scream 1980s supercomputer

I think your comment makes me want one more than I did before! I still don't seem to be particularly desperate for one, though.

2. You have not yet created a handle
      Gimp

I'm sure it's a market the Apple are itching to get into - and one day I'm sure they will.. they will revolutionise the gaming market with bling.

1. youknowyouloveit

I read that as "revolutionise the gaming market with bing".

Noooooooooooooooo!

2. Martipar

Forgotten about the Pippin already? For shame!

3. AceRimmer
        Joke

"they will revolutionise the gaming market with bling."

You mean INVENT gaming and the gaming market

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"if Apple had produced the PS4 they would have .....significantly better looking package, and we'd all be queuing up to buy it."

No we fucking wouldn't.

1. Benchops

False implies false is true

4. Rimpel

to paraphrase^H parody AC 27th @ 12:06

I predict a lackluster [sic] christmas for microsoft. The XB1 would be a good console for someone who has lived in the middle ages, but lets face it the next gen is a bit better, and i cant see anyone who has money issues buying either.

Amusingly if apple had produced a gaming console it would cost 2k. and some twats might buy it [sic]

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sony have quite rightly focussed on ensuring the game part of the games console is correct.

Anything else is a bonus, but the bonus features should not be prioritised over the gaming aspects.

8. Gareth Perch

I'll get one when they release Wipeout for it...

...if they ever do, now that Sony has closed Studio Liverpool.

And an XBox One, when they release Halo for it. So I'll probably just end up with an XBox One this generation.

I don't really play any other games on my PS3 or XBox 360 (or PC - but I'm looking forward to Elite: Dangerous - I expect I'll treat my PC to a new graphics card for that)

1. youknowyouloveit

Re: I'll get one when they release Wipeout for it...

I'm with you there, it's a travesty they closed Studio Liverpool. This will be my first playstation without a Wipeout on it.

Even though I've preordered a PS4, I'll be keeping the PS3 connected simply because of Wipeout HD.

1. Eradicate all BB entrants

What is this Studio Liverpool crap? It was Psygnosis and always will be. A massive shame that it was closed, and they should have never been sold to Sony, an utter waste of great talent.

1. Rimpel

Psygnosis really? Can I vote for a remake of blood money in HD?

9. Amorous Cowherder
    Thumb Up

I'm curious to see what it offers but I usually skip every other generation console, I owned an original Playstation but didn't bother shifting until the XBOX360 made it worthwhile. You spend shed-loads on the titles so it needs something truly stellar to make me invest in all the latest incarnations of those titles.

Good luck to anyone looking to upgrade though, the more people invest at the start, the more support goes behind a console, the more companies start coding releases for it thus bringing down the prices of consoles and titles for when the rest of us catch up.

1. NightFox

I can understand skipping every other generation for something like iPhone annual updates, but do you really mean you're going to wait about 15 years between upgrades rather than just a mere 7 or 8 years?

1. Lamont Cranston

I still have a PS2 and a Wii.

Oh, and better* things to do with my time.

*<small>well, other</small>

10. JeeBee

At least it's getting most of the TV catchup services (well, no 4od yet, and nobody cares about itv player) and streaming video services (Netflix, Lovefilm) on its release date in the UK.

But the important thing for a games console is that they've got a decent controller and the console's hardware can do the games at 1080p. Sure, it needs more good games right now, but it's the same with every new console launch.

11. Fogcat

First I'll declare that I currently own an Original Wii, an XBox 360, a PSP and a PS3.

The Wii hasn't been turned on for months and was mostly used for Zelda games.

The Xbox360 also hasn't been turned on recently and that's mainly used for platform exclusives.

I can't remember the last time the PSP was turned on, that's really been superseded by smartphones and tablets.

The PS3 (original fat model with hardware PS2 compatibility) is my main gaming machine (primarily because I "know" more people on PSN than XBox live) and is currently getting used for GTAV. It also gets used as the BluRay player so since I've had a 3-D TV for about 9 months I was rather startled the hear the PS4 doesn't support 3D BluRays. I never really used the PS3 for media as Sony never provided .MKV support.

Currently neither the XBox One or the PS4 have me thinking "I want one". If the PS4 was backwards compatible I *probably* would have gone for it after Christmas, just to have the new shiny. But with a backlog of games and several new ones due that I fancy playing I'm happy with the PS3. And I don't want to run a PS3 and 4 - there are enough wires and plugboards round the back of the tell as it is.

So.... until the next Uncharted gets released as a PS4 exclusive I'll probably be sitting on my hands; I can't see the sales being massive.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem is that the current gen is still current

When The Xbox360 and PS3 were released the GameCube and PS2 had stalled, good games were still coming out of course but they were almost indistinguishable from what was being released the year before and the year before that with God of War being the only "There's still some life in her yet" game.

Outside of graphical pretties on the PS4 and XboxOne current gen owners are still enjoying new releases of Grand Theft Auto, Assassain's Creed and Gran Turismo is only around the corner. Not only is there little reason in owning the next gen consoles but we still have reasons to keep playing on the current gen.

Both Microsoft and Sony shot their loads too early and I think customers would have waited an additional 8 months for the consoles to be released without the bugs and rough edges and games that didn't feel rushed.

1. Ian 55

Re: The problem is that the current gen is still current

Both have been happy for people to pay to be beta testers before.

Never be the first kid on your block to get some new shiny. You'll pay more and get less.

2. DanDanDan

Re: The problem is that the current gen is still current

The problem is that if the PS4 had been released earlier, then GTAV would have been developed for the PS4, despite the PS3 being perfectly good enough for it. So the next set of games to be released, won't be available on the PS3...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Waiting for games and storage

I know I can replace the drive in a PS4 but with the limited games on offer, I'll probably wait until one or other of XBO or PS4 boxes are upgraded to 1TB hard drives (next year?)

14. Unicornpiss
    Flame

I'd just be happy if...

It doesn't thrust a software update down your throat to get it to just play a movie. I come home, I'm tired, I don't feel like gaming, I just want to watch Netflix or similar for an hour before going to bed. I find I must spend an extra 10 or more minutes to update to version x.x.01 to add the ability to put frilly doilies on all my (not) shared photos before it will let me use any application. And be signed into PSN even though Netflix, etc. requires separate credentials anyway.

It's maybe nitpicking, but this has always peeved me and has made me resolve to not buy another PS.

1. jai

Re: I'd just be happy if...

but i thought one of the big things about the PS4 is that the OS/game/app updates are all done in the background now?

so at the most, you've only got a small wait for them to install when you switch it on.

that said - doesn't that already happen with the ps3? or is that because i'm on PS Plus?

2. Rimpel

Re: I'd just be happy if...

So the biggest complaint about your gaming machine is that it isnt so good at doing non gaming tasks?

My heart bleeds... is there a better solution? then use it.

I couldnt give a flying f about netflix, sounds like you want an XB1?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When you talk about the evolving functionality of the PS3

Do you mean the things Sony took away in later models?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When you talk about the evolving functionality of the PS3

Nah, they added about 100 features to the PS3 over the 6 years, and took away 1, the one that the community showed they couldn't be trusted with.

1. Oninoshiko

The took away two. Reverse compatibility which they never did completely get working (some games worked, some didn't), and the other-os.

Say what you will about Other-OS being useless for the average gamer, but reverse compatibility WAS a useful feature (excepting it's buggyness).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I know it's easy to change facts that happened a while ago to suit, but here is what really happened with backwards compatibility:

Every PS3 still supports ps1 games.

Launch PS3 units had fully working ps2 support because they included ac full ps2 chipset. However everyone bitched about the cost of the ps3, so it fit the chop.

Later units had a halfway house, the gpu hardware was there. The cpu was emulated. It reduced the cost of the PS3 significantly but was less compatible. Most of the big hitters worked well enough.

People still bitched about price (despite being only fifty quid more than an Xbox and having a really good bluray player and bigger hdd), do when the slim launched, they removed the remaining ps2 hardware chip. By this time nobody really wanted ps2 support anyway, all you heard about was people crying about price.

The moral of the story, be careful copy and pasting what Microsoft ask for Sony might just do it.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This Generation is known for what is missing

All previous generations have been improvements and added features.

Made these releases exciting. "Oo! what this do now?!"

This time there is a battle for what to take away and add to their respective cloud services for a fee.

Very difficult to get excited about that or the premium add-ons your £70 game will need to complete.

1. jai

Re: This Generation is known for what is missing

dude, seriously, get your games from amazon.co.uk - only 48 quid!!!

17. David Gibson

I won't be upgrading because...

I typically upgraded my old console because of the technological leap that came with each new iteration. But with the PS4 I find myself continuously asking myself "What's changed?"

When was the last time I played a PS3 game and thought "Hmm, the graphics in this game are detracting from the gameplay".

I'll stick with the PS3 for the cheaper titles and move to the PS4 when the price drops to something more respectable. But I have to say that I wouldn't be surprised if this is Sony's last foray into the games console market. The days of the console are almost over I declare (again).

18. taxman

Damn and blast

Looks like I'll have to wait a little longer to be able to pick up a cheap second hand PS3!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In short

A couple of software features didn't make it for launch, but the hardware is spot on.

I'll take that any day over the Xbone, where the hardware is so badly flawed it's laughable.

it's odd that after 5 years of bashing the PS3, El-Reg suddenly now consider it so advanced, that you shouldn't buy a PS4. What gives?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In short

El Reg has to be anti-whatever-is-popular otherwise their articles won't be provocative and draw lots of clicks and advertising revenue

2. Toxteth O'Gravy

Been reading El Reg for longer than that, and I don't recall any particular PS3 bashing. More from commentards grumbling about missing Linux support.

Ah, but then you're 'barry shitpeas', aren't you? Wondered when you'd pop up.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Difference - PS4 can do full 1080p; XBone can only do it if the game is weak enough graphically to handle it. Oh, wait, Microsoft's claiming they left 1080p support up to the developers...

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
        Windows

1080p? Aww, how cute.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'But you still need the disc in place to play the game.'

....................WTF?

How about asking for the disk once in a while instead?... How hard would that be?

What's the point sacrificing all your HD space, when you still need the disk?...

Probably for performance, but its not enough of a bonus...

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'if sharing is to become a generation-defining success'

Yay, lets focus on the narcissistic crowd.... like they need any more attention... Is this what gaming is now really about.... WTF?

"Perhaps the Share button is its nearest claim to have something that little bit special. Here the PS4 takes advantage of its ability to constantly record gameplay footage to allow you to upload videos or even live-stream if you’re feeling particularly brave.

You can choose between Twitch and Ustream streaming services when uploading and watching videos but the video quality, even when set to "best", is poor. Sony will certainly need to address this if sharing is to become a generation-defining success. Especially since the competition lets you do this too."

22. SaphirantCross

Love the title of this article...

It's almost as if I can hear Jeremy Clarkson intro this on an episode of Top Gear.

23. 1Rafayal

must admit, I am a little peeved about the lack of 3D Blu-Ray play back.

But that hasnt stopped me from pre-ordering one, I think I am in the very small minority of people who actually watch 3D Blu-Rays anyway

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

hardware in ps4 supports it, but not the software

Guessing it will be along sooner rather than later. Dlna and mp3 are coming in a future update. Sony rightly focused on hardware and gaming

What this review didn't cover was the better media support in the UK. The ps4 has several key services the xboner doesn't. Bbc iPlayer and bbc sport, vidzone and tune in radio for example.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re hairy, belly scratching apemen

do you mean our helpdesk staff?

25. Zmodem

should have got a hdmi splitter cable and a hdmi pci-e capture card, and show the details in full resolution

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What free games?

"PS3 stalwarts might be perturbed by the need for a PS Plus account to play online but the service pays for itself in free games"

Only problem is that those games aren't free, you're basically renting them. As soon as your subscription is over so is your access to these "free" games.

1. bean520

Re: What free games?

Beats having no real perks and being required to access services such as Skype (normally free) and Netflix (on top of the usual subscription charge). Anyone up for Xbox?

27. pewpie

Does Mike work for Sony?

"PS3 stalwarts might be perturbed by the need for a PS Plus account to play online but the service pays for itself in free games..."

They are not free games - unless you consider paying for them for ALL ETERNITY free.. Shame on the writer for using this intentional misnomer..

Don't accept my word for it? Find me one piece of Sony marketing for PS Plus that uses the word 'free' - you can't because thier lawyers, who fill the halls of PS HQs - not gamers as they would have you believe, know damn well they would be stepping into a legal minefield.

Pewpie quick capsule review (borrowed from the late William Hicks): Piece of shit - walk away. Come back when the price drops, the PSN online bullshit is recinded due to unpopular demand, and the hardware faults are removed.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where is the USP game?

I bought this gen Xbox 360 (and later a PS3) when there was a reason to get it - that was GTA4.

After that I got into some great gaming experiences with the Bioshock, Forza, Fallout, Project Gotham, Elder Scrolls, Gran Turismo series.

Currently playing GTA5 on the PS3, I'll follow that with the Bioshock Infinite DLC.

However at that point it would take a really interesting game to get me to buy the new generation.

The rumours of a new Fallout might be just that.

1. Wai

Re: Where is the USP game?

Don't forget to play The Last of Us!

29. Joerg

Some day soon? Powerful console? WHAT ?

And since when a bunch of more debris or a few more players on a multiplayer environment justified the "next-gen" tag to a console?

These are fake next-gen consoles!

Not talking about hardware specs it's rather silly because the games can't be any better if the hardware sucks.

And both Playstation4 and XBoxOne hardware clearly sucks. The AMD APU Jaguar it's even slower than Intel Atom CPUs. It's on average 50% of the slowest Intel Core i3 CPUs.

There won't be any improvement in the future. The consoles hardware can't run the algorithms on current 3D engines already at 1080p 60fps maximum detail settings.. in order to achieve 1080p 60fps they need to disable almost all the effects, lights, physics, use flat textures, use simplified 3D models with less polygons and so on.

And no.. none of these games looks better on a Playstation4 compared to the Playstation3. Really none.

The textures are bigger because there is more available RAM yes.. but that's it. They don't look anything better in real world usage. You can notice the textures for a few seconds and that's it.. So far for the "next-gen" thing...

There won't be any games with real next-gen graphics. Next-gen graphics should mean true photorealistic quality, like the CGI on movies .. Pacific Rim, Transformers, District9, Iron Man.. and so on..

The hardware just can't do that. These fake next-gen consoles are obsolete already. Are a farce and a joke. A real scam!

1. Scott Green
      FAIL

Re: Some day soon? Powerful console? WHAT ?

Afternoon Joerg, was wondering how soon you'd be on with your tedious, deliberately obfuscating and frequently challenged BS comparisons about APUs and CPUs and look , here you are..twat!

2. MJI Silver badge

Well Killzone Shadowfall looks better than Killzone 3

3. SIMONWELLS

I am inclined to agree. In some respects both new consoles provide graphics sub par of current PC gaming tech. That is utterly appalling and quite frankly not good enough. If Sony or MS want me to buy next-gen that is what it has to be, this isn't it.

I'm talking about the time I went out and spent a fortune on my first voodoo 2 3dfx card and plugged it in. That jaw dropping moment when 3d graphics became what they are today. And that is the problem, they may have got visually more polygons in them, but the whole gaming industry has gone stale.

Sorry but I want, no strike that, expect every next-gen title to be like running "unreal" for the first time. Because unless it is like that, THAT "JAW DROPPINGLY" OFF THE CHARTS BLOWING AWAY EVERYTHING THAT CAME BEFORE IT, YES THAT MUCH OF AN IMPROVEMENT! it aint next gen.

These hairy fairy 360 and ps3 games on the ps4 and xbone with a few more snazzy lighting effects and reflections in astronauts helmet visors are all well and good, but it aint next-gen.

Its a cop out, that's what it is.........and don't get me started on the ps4's lack of media playback software! *face-palm*

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Think of the graphics Dolphin

These holidays I'll be playing the best Wii games via Dolphin emulator and my new graphics card.

4x native res, 16x AF, 16x Q CSAA. Purchased retail copies and not a gun in sight. PC gaming at it's best ;)

31. MJI Silver badge
    FAIL

Zap zap zap bang and it............

Getting a swapped out one Tuesday.

Icon is what happened to my PS4.

I think the mains cable would not go in properly and it arced and then fried it.

Make sure those cables are fitted corrected.

managed to get it up long enough to rescue Shadow Fall and to deprimary it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like