back to article Microsoft: SORRY for the BORKED Xbox One disc drives, here's a free game

Microsoft is offering a free game download to players whose new Xbox One consoles suffering from broken disc drives. The tech titan said users waiting for a working replacement system to arrive will be able to download one of the company's branded titles to the broken console to keep them busy while awaiting the swap. "While …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't look good

Just checked amazon and while they have 96 five star reviews for the console they also have 50 one star reviews out of 187. Lots of people reporting faulty units that need to be returned. By the time they get a replacement a free game might not appease them.

Be interesting to see how that fairs compared to the PS4. I really don't know what console to go for in this generation. They seem quite similar in specs, but it seems like the Xbox has more media and extra features compared to the PS4, but the PS4 is cheaper.

It's a shame both of them seem to be suffering from quality control issues. Smacks of them being rushed to the market too quickly. I wonder how long it is before Sony revise the design and release a console that irons out their rumoured issues...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doesn't look good

"50 one star reviews out of 187. Lots of people reporting faulty units that need to be returned."

That's a minuscule number versus the tens of thousands Amazon have sold....It also seems like the Xbox problems are much rarer than the borked PS4s....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or that the Phony Phanbois are downvoting. Wouldn't be suprised if M$ doesn't have a team doing the same to the PS4 reviews.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How many of those one stars are registered owners? Amazon allows you to review products without even owning them so its not an accurate measure of how many returns there are.

1. Mikel

@MattEvansC3 There was an annoying pedant belaboring this issue this weekend so I checked. The answer is "a lot."

3. VinceH
      Pint

"I really don't know what console to go for in this generation."

I know what console I'm going for in this generation: None of them.

I'll stick with my PS3. I have plenty of games for it that I haven't yet even started on (sadly, I don't get much time to play, so the occasional day of gaming is a nice treat), and the supply of new games won't dry up immediately - and over time, as more people upgrade, there will likely be more second hand games available as well.

A pint for Sony for not making it backwards compatible. Nice move, guys.

1. Sooty

I know how you feel, none of the launch games have jumped out at me as being interesting, maybe there'll be a must have game at some point, but not yet.

For me, it's not about the specifc console, it's about the games, and i have loads already for both ps4 and 360

Ironically if either the ps4 or Xbox were backwards compatible with anything, games/peripherals, I'd have got one or the other straight away. There is potentially hope for my Fanatec racing wheel working on the ps4, maybe, at some point in the future, but no chance on xbox by the looks of it.

2. h3

The difference is the hoop you will have to jump through if the problem is on the PS4 compared to this.

1. Greg J Preece

The difference is the hoop you will have to jump through if the problem is on the PS4 compared to this.

That would be the hoop where Sony immediately RMA the machine and mail you a new one? The horror!

3. Khaptain Silver badge

Broken Disk - Free Game, but don't swear about it

That's very nice of them, do they also supply some Uppers for the heartbreak....

4. Richard 12 Silver badge

Green screen of death?

Blimey, the Green Light of Failure I mentioned happened quick!

5. SMabille

Great service!

Waoouw, I'm impressed by Microsoft.

It's the first time I hear advance replacement on mass distribution consumer product, usually this is reserved to premium contract support on enterprise equipment (usually 4hrs or next day but an XBox is hardly business critical). And a free downloadable game to keep you busy in the mean time....

Compare that to Sony (US) sending an empty box, sending a replacement after reception of the damaged unit... turn around nearly 2 weeks. Hope I won't have to test Sony service on Friday but I don't expect it to match MS one.

6. DJGM

Sticking with my trusty Xbox 360 Elite for now . . .

These issues with the first batches of both the Xbox One and the PS4 confirm my reasons

for not buying an expensive new tech product from launch. I'll stick with my Xbox 360 for

at least the next 6-12 months, while the early adopters deal with the teething problems

before I decide which one of the new consoles I'll be getting.

7. Emo

Mircosoft are doing door step swaps on faulty kit, however this requires a £600 security deposit which is refunded once the Xbox One is received in Prague and confirmed not to be a household brick in a box.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Decent Apology

Xbox One Day One arrived on Friday (pre-ordered from Microsoft Store), got it set up and found a dead blu-ray drive. Oddly a DVD would play, but anything on blu-ray wouldn't, I have my suspicions they put the wrong drives in some machines...

Requested the "Advanced Exchange" option which admittedly required the £600 block being put on the credit card. Spent the weekend playing the downloaded FIFA 14, Kinect Sports Rivals Preseason and had a short dabble with Killer Instinct (all downloaded titles), as well as real-world stuff.

Found out about this apology on Tuesday and got in touch with them via webchat to ask about this and to find out where the console was. Really helpful customer service, told me the new machine was on its way and that I could pick a free game in the meantime. Picked Forza 5 and was emailed the code to redeem on the site. Went straight into the My Games and Apps page to download, was playing later the same evening.

Emailed on Wednesday with confirmation of the console despatch, it arrived today (Thursday). Plugged in and all working, now redownloading FIFA, Forza etc. as well as installing the disc copy of Battlefield 4 I bought to play on release day and couldn't. Six days (or three working days, if you like) from initial request to replacement arriving. All I need to do now is pack and ship the broken machine.

So far, I've been pleased with the service, and the free game is more than enough apology for a few days of inconvenience :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like