back to article Dropbox is most pleasurable storage cloud for the old in-out

Boffins from the University of Twente and the Politecnico Di Torino have run the rule over five consumer-grade cloud storage services to see which performs best in terms of the load they impose on machines running them. While the researchers consider the five services they tested – Dropbox, SkyDrive, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. rvt

It would be nice to know which cloud drivers are subject to the patriot act, and see them tested.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Realistically, our time would be better spent worrying about the local police. All of the major providers are already busily scanning cloud storage for naughty pics--a British idea, I might add. It shouldn't be long before another British nanny project, namely blocking piracy sites at the ISP level, morphs into scanning cloud storage for pirated IP. Please don't confuse my comment for support of the NSA. It's just that they have bigger things on their minds than Game of Thrones, which if I recall, they have already been spotted pirating themselves. As always, THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

2. Nate Amsden

must be

those 10,000 servers dropbox uses to front end it's services.. even though they store the data in s3.

doesn't make sense to me if you invest in 10,000 servers that you don't take the time to invest in the object storage as well, but whatever.

3. Adam 1

> Does this result make Dropbox a viable NAS substitute .....

Don't you mean NSA substitute?

4. fpx

The US government probably classifies data in a cloud service as business records and that we therefore have no expectation of privacy in the files that we upload, so that the government can get at the data without warrant if they want to. I would also expect that the NSA is able to intercept Dropbox traffic.

That's why my Dropbox only contains a single 256 MB Truecrypt volume.

I still have to trust the Dropbox client, and that the NSA does not Quantum-slip me an update. But I don't think I have done anything to attract such personal attention.

1. John Sturdy

I don't think I have done anything to attract such personal attention

Isn't using TrueCrypt enough for that? Ok, not really personal, but I'm sure it will have put you on a special list somewhere.

5. spider from mars

"Does this result make Dropbox a viable NAS substitute"?

given that my NAS box has 5TB of data on it, no ;)

6. Nifty Silver badge

Moved to Cubby a while back, more flexible

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not that anyone here would ever need protection against a potential Department of Justice Audit, HOWEVER if one was interested in protecting their data from lost/stolen devices or potential hackers, while continuing to use the best sync and share technology on the planet (Dropbox), might I suggest nCryptedCloud?

Its fast, easy to use, aesthetically pleasing and tough as a box coffin nail when it comes to security.

Don't take my word for it, 451 Research does a much better job:

https://www.ncryptedcloud.com/file/ncc_resources/VF4QCQ8M_nCrypted%20Cloud%20locks%20down%20on%20Dropbox_451%20Research_5_Nov_2013.pdf

This topic is closed for new posts.