back to article ZTE becomes latest to cuff self to smartwatch bandwagon

Chinese phone maker ZTE has become the latest vendor to cuff itself to the smartwatch bandwagon after announcing plans to launch a device in the second quarter of 2014. The Shenzhen firm’s head of handset marketing, Lu Qianhao, told the Wall Street Journal that ZTE would be “focusing on the mainstream market” with a device …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey

"comparable in features "

That's not going to set the world on fire.

FDS, come up with a compelling reason. Some desireable feature unavailable in any other way. Mousetrap, better, path, beat etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "comparable in features "

What they mean is like the Galaxy Gear it will be handcuffed to a couple of phones only.

This tactic worked so well for Samsung, the Galaxy gear has literally shipped dozens of watches worldwide.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So then, a shit smart watch

For all those who can't afford a Galaxy Gear (even at the inevitable fire sale prices).

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: So then, a shit smart watch

You mean ANOTHER shit smartwatch. Why would anyone want a Galaxy Gear?

3. Tachikoma

For £100 I would buy a semi-smart watch with a camera*, so if the Samsung watch gets its price slashed to clear stock, sign me up as a £100 gadget is within my disposable toy budget.

*Camera not for perving but for new baby sudden photo ops where something is better than nothing, and I can't have my DSLR strung around my neck 24/7

1. Robert E A Harvey

easy

>For £100 I would buy a semi-smart watch with a camera

http://www.tmart.com/Q8-Dual-Sim-Quad-Band-FM-Watch-Cell-Phone---1.33-Touch-Screen-with-Spy-Camera_p111833.html?cc=gbp

41 quid to you, mate.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Galaxy Gear

I fully expect Samsung to give away the Galaxy Gear watch with their next generation of devices. They reacted to the rumours of the iWatch too quickly and put together a product that doesn't solve any problems just yet.

I like the idea of a smartwatch but I see nothing out there that is compelling enough to put up with poor battery life and a screen that won't be all that in direct sunlight

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like