back to article Samsung and HTC face Android 3D graphics test chart removal SHAME

Benchmark software operation Futuremark has said it believes Samsung and HTC have attempted to rig the results its graphics testing app, 3DMark Android, yields when run on four of the two manufacturers’ most popular devices. According to Futuremark, “when a device is suspected of breaking our rules it is delisted”. Among those …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piro Silver badge

Good stuff

I approve.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Oh well...

The fraction of people who consult benchmarks before buying is fairly small, and tend to read the likes of Anandtech. Of those people, I suspect a majority would have heard about these benchmark shenanigans, and would have quickly found online resources that give alternate measures - or a qualitative assessment - of a phone's performance.

So it would it seem that all Samsung and HTC's goosing of the benchmarks can only mislead a small sliver of their potential market.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“People rely on Futuremark benchmarks to produce accurate and unbiased results,”

and manufacturers rely on abovementioned people to bleed a steady stream of cash (buy, buy, buy). So the game continues. I haven't heard any apologies from the big boys how awfully sorry they are for this inadvertent design error. I guess they decided so long the story doesn't go mainstream, it's best just to pretend it never happened. And it works.

4. Tromos

Moving these phones to the bottom of the list makes the list somewhat useless as I'm pretty certain these phones would ride quite high anyway. Wouldn't it be better if the benchmark was changed to penalise shorter battery life when achieving these higher speeds? Personally, I'd favour 20% extra battery life over 20% extra speed and I'd like to see benchmarks and tests that reflect this.

1. Paul Shirley

While Samsung have been caught bumping GPU clock speed, it's not the only way to game the scores. Nvidia used to get caught regularly dropping in custom shaders, dropping precision and changing texture modes in benchmarks. Sometimes that had zero effect on render output and is actually an acceptable approach in non-benchmarking contexts, drivers usually have game specific hacks built in - nowadays with en\disable control.

Even GPU overclocking isn't always easy to detect, or likely to decrease battery life enough for certainty.

It's a repeat of the NVidia+ATI+others situation, with the same solution - repeated public exposure till they stop.

2. Stuart Halliday

How about a line that says "Removed for suspect of cheating"?

Much better...

5. VooDooTooDo

Benchmarks, Schmenchmarks.....

Anybody that buys a PHONE because it is 2fps faster than another, needs to get a life! A phone is for communications, not for playing games. If you want to play games on the move, buy a DS or PSP! You might find that you actually get decent battery life out of the phone then!!!! As for those that play games on a tablet that uses motion to control the "character/vehicle" in public such as on a train etc, need to realise that you look a complete pillock sitting there tilting yourself from side to side!

1. Lamont Cranston
      Joke

Re: Benchmarks, Schmenchmarks.....

Tell me about it. Everytime I buy a car, I make a point of ripping out the radio and throwing it at the salesman.

2. Stuart Halliday

Who let the Dinosaur in?

Time to be sent to the Farm...? :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't buy a PHONE, I buy a battery which has a flash light attached to it. It's a useful thing to carry with me in these dark November evenings.

That it also allows me to consult the internet and make telephone calls, tune my guitar and act as a calculator is a bonus. It's an alarm clock, a handy unit converter, an FM radio, and it makes a fair fist of being a camera, too.

I also own a real flash light (it takes 2x AA batteries and everything!), calculator (with graphs and Tippex decoration!), camera (the lens moves in and out!) and laptop (seems to think its a fan heater! Plays DVDs!)... but sadly I've lost my rucksack, so I have to leave them at home.

Hmm, this can't be right: My alarm clock thinks it's an FM radio. Freaky.

6. Prof Denzil Dexter

Naughty Naughty, Very naughty

Got any Salmon?

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Naughty Naughty, Very naughty

Got any Salmon?

<blatant rugs reference>No, but I've got some underlay</>

7. Ian 55

Anyone remember Nvidia being caught out doing this sort of thing with PC graphics drivers?

When just they renamed the benchmark .exe, the Nvidia cards' score fell.

8. Berio

I am pretty sure ISPs do the same when you go on speedtest.net or similar.

1. Prof Denzil Dexter

yeah they proritise the known IP addresses for the speed test servers. virgin confirmed they do this to me

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh, it's Shamsung

They've got previous

10. Stuart Halliday

What, no one has an oscilloscope they can pin on the CLKs?

Shame...

90% of the Chinese tablet/phone market use overclocking to boost performance over lifespan.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like