back to article Our Sun menaces comet 'of the century' ISON with FIERY DESTRUCTION

Skygazers are nervously awaiting the outcome of Comet Ison's impending close encounter with the Sun, which could put paid to hopes that the icy ball will put on a jaw-dropping display across the night sky. Ison is due to swing round the Sun on 28 November, coming within a mere 1.16 million km of the star's surface. Last week, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I have scientific proof

All from my "research", i.e. reading The Register.

It's going to be the most spectacular comet ever. Superb, bright, visible in daylight, and full of fascinating scientific information to discover.

But that doesn't matter. Because a volcano in Indonesia has spotted this event too. And is right now awaking from hundreds of years of slumber in order to fill the atmosphere with ash, and block out the pretty lights.

1. KBeee

Re: I have scientific proof

But can we weaponise it?

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: I have scientific proof

Sol is holding its breath in order to be ready to blow out the candle that is that oddly named comet.

That's why the polar shift hasn't finished. ;)

2. Mikel

Christmas comet

The show should peak around Christmas. Hope we get a sight.

1. Mike Moyle

Re: Christmas comet

A "bright star in the East", right around Christmastime...?

WHEEEEE! Here we go again!...!

1. MrDamage Silver badge

3 Wise Men

Will be me, the BOFH, and the PFY.

Our gifts will be the cattleprod, the shovel, and bag of quicklime.

1. qwertyuiop
          WTF?

Re: 3 Wise Men

Why three? Nowhere in the Bible does it say there were three wise men; three kinds of gift are mentioned, but not the number of people giving gifts. See Mathhew 2: 1 - 12. As a firm non-believer I find this question always peplexes those who believe in the old bloke in the sky.

1. t.est

Re: 3 Wise Men

True

It doesn't even call them wise men, we read instead that they were astrologers. Something that was disgusting, and something to be extinguished in ancient the Jewish society.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

It would be nice to get a really bright comet flyby

But I expect that Ison will evaporate flying that close to the Sun.

Oh well, adding a couple more minutes to the Suns hydrogen supply aint nothing.

1. Chris 244
      Headmaster

Re: Couple of minutes

More like a fraction of a second. Sun fuses some 640 million metric tons of hydrogen per second. Comet Ison has a mass estimate of 3.2 billion metric tons at the top end. Even if all of that mass was methane ice (which it isn't) methane is only a quarter hydrogen by mass. At most, we're looking at one second of reaction mass, likely much less.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

WOAH! Like a candle in the wind!

That animated gif is amazing. How exactly was it obtained (how does one get the solar wind schlieren) and from what orbit?

5. cajun

jonathon rochelle

2700C, isn't that twice as hot as magma? Seems odd it would survive. Fingers are crossed though.

1. DJ 2

Re: jonathon rochelle

interplanetary Baked Alaska, crispy fried on the outside and creamy ice in the middle.

6. Richard 81

I keep reading its name as JSON.

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Fingers crossed

But I fear clouds will spoil the party here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fingers crossed

You fear??

This is England, clouds, whenever there is a significant solar event, are a sodding certainty.

1. Bonce

Re: Fingers crossed

"Significant Solar Event", eg. Summer

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like