back to article Beijing hits back at US: Don't you DARE blame China for collapse of duty-free IT talks

Chinese commerce minister Gao Hucheng has said it was "irresponsible" of the US to stop trade talks on abolishing tariffs on tech products and to blame China for the breakdown in negotiations. Both the US and the EU said at the end of last week that China's insistence on exempting more than a hundred products from the list of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Well if nothing else...

It keeps these children off of the streets in pretending they have something worthwhile to do.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's only irresponsible if we remove any tariffs....we should put MORE in place.

Honestly, just how freaking stupid do the Chinese think we are? (Albeit Kerry's negotiations with Iran shows we have a bunch of dumbasses working for the state department).

We need to go back to a full embargo if China does not open it's markets to the West without the damn gamesmanship they have done in the past.

They steal our designs and copy everything they can. They break in to our manufacturers computer systems and steal all of their intellectual property and then produce it for next to nothing. They lie about everything and expect us to be honest?

Please.....

1. Ben Tasker

Re: It's only irresponsible if we remove any tariffs....we should put MORE in place.

Based on your comment you're a USain. How do you think the US did so well in the early days? You jumped across the ocean and announced that only copyright issued in the US was valid. There was plenty of gamesman ship then too.

Not that any of it's right, just a bit rich for a nation to complain about another doing exactly what it did, and in some cases continues to do ( use of the name scotch or champagne comes to mind).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: It's only irresponsible if we remove any tariffs....we should put MORE in place.

"I'll raise you unfair and unjust taxation without representation and the ensuing American Revolution."

Oddly enough, your own government is currently doing exactly that to it's own citizens in exactly the way you describe.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Did I say I was a member of my government or did I say that I agree with what those clowns are doing?

Are you kidding me? Pot meet British Kettle perhaps on subject of excessive taxation.

All governments that rob, cheat and steal from it's citizens need to be deposed.

2. Arctic fox
          Headmaster

@AC Well old chap as it so happens.......

"Any chance you remember what you Brits did to China, Massive Opium Addictions come to mind? "

.............. I have never, repeat never, heard a fellow countryman of mine defend for one moment the Opium Wars. I suggest that you review you own history in a slightly more objective light. Particularly in light of the way that, historically, the US utterly ignored the intellectual property rights of all other nations until (think the lead in to the Edison period) they had intellectual property of their own worth protecting.

3. Demosthenese

"I'll raise you unfair and unjust taxation without representation and the ensuing American Revolution."

Except this is a fantasy dreamt up after the fact. Taxes on tea were actually lowered to allow British companies to compete with Dutch tea smuggled into the colonies, by Americans. The actual rallying cry across New England was the far less wholesome, sectarian cry of "No Popery" - a response to the newly conquered French (catholic) fur traders being granted the same protections by the British army as the American fur traders, thus threatening the business interests that they had assumed would be advanced by the British victory in the French-Indian war that these same fur traders had engineered.

3. i like crisps
    Trollface

"FLUCK YOU, AMERICA!!!"

Our Super Computer better than yours you Caucasian Pig-Dogs!!!.

1. Schultz

Re: "FLUCK YOU, AMERICA!!!"

Up-vote for being gratuitously abusive, demeaning and idiotic. Two can play that game (see story).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Every country...

...should place a 5000% import tarrif on any goods produced in China.

1. Mahou Saru

Re: Every country...

"...should place a 5000% import tarrif on any goods produced in China."

Are you sure that people want to pay an even higher mark up for their iShinys???

What do you think will happen if the biggest holder of US dollars outside of the US, has their market collapse?

I for one welcome our alien overlords to impose some sense into our governing bodies....

China can't live without the USA and vice versa, so I wish they would stop playing chicken with the global economy and world stability.

2. Bladeforce

Hahaha good one. Imagine the panic in America if China came down on the US and demanded their money back, instant depression confirmed in America

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

China couldn't demand immediate repayment; the debt they bought has stipulations like basically anything that deals with financial matters. What if your bank demanded being repaid immediately? That 30-year loan, not anymore, we'll be by in a few minutes to pick the money up!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"What if your bank demanded being repaid immediately?"

Default on a payment and that's the agreement ripped up. Didn't that almost happen recently?

If those Chinese loans to the US are anything like US house mortgages then a single failed repayment can result in foreclosure.

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge

How Dare They

After all, it's not as if America has ever set up protectionist policies against foreign competitors. What's more they still don't. No way!

6. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

bugger! I thought Merika was the land of the free, home of the brave and champion of free enterprise and free trade

S'not my fault, I just believed what I was told?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

S'not?

Proof that rednecks should be denied internet access!

7. Gene Cash Silver badge

I prefer Chinese made...

I'd much rather spend $10 on a tool from Harbor Freight that lasts 6 months, than a $25 one from Sears that breaks after a month. Been there, got the t-shirt (and both pieces) and done that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I prefer Chinese made...(Better move there then)

Really? Didn't buy the one with the Craftsman name and lifetime, no question warranty did you?

Ever see the difference between the old American made Craftsman table saw and the new one made in China?

The US made product used to be ALOT better made until we had to compete on price (for idiots like you) with a country whose entire manufacturing culture is based on making shit for less money and cutting corners to do so. Bad castings, poor machining, crap materials and because you like cheap shit, it's about all you can get now.

Quality did not enter the equation. If you can't see that you are just ignorant and useless, lying to yourself to prove a point.

Simple check on quality, try looking at Chinese buildings and how well they fare in earthquakes. Not well, not well at all. Why, because their culture is based on skirting the rules, (way more than in US/UK). No conscience and no guilt.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: a country whose entire manufacturing culture is based on making shit for less

Um, and why exactly do you think they work like that ?

Because we send them production orders that do not accept more than a given price, and they have to accept to get the deal.

If they're cutting corners, it's because some CEO over here is intent on lowering the price per unit by another 5% before XMas so he can get a nice bonus. Meanwhile, over there they are scrambling like ants to try and find a way to still make the product requested while getting less and less money for it.

Taking their buildings as an example is a strawman argument. Yes, there is corruption at all levels in China. That has nothing to do with how they make the products we buy. You think there's no corruption in Washington ? Ignorance is bliss.

So don't blame the Chinese for this situation - once again it is the First World that created this mess, nobody else.

1. HarshKarma
          Mushroom

Re: a country whose entire manufacturing culture is based on making shit for less

The idea that Chinese manufacturers cut corners and produce poor quality goods simply because of the price they agree with foreign buyers is a complete myth. It's a cultural trait; they view the ability to produce a lower cost fake which can fool someone as a great achievement. They do this not only with foreigners but with themselves as well. Suggest you read something like "Poorly Made In China" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poorly-Made-China-Insiders-Production-ebook/dp/B004G5Z2A8/) if you want to know what really goes on.

8. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Perhaps we should review the American definition of "free" trade.

Our companies get to buy the raw materials they want at the prices they want to pay

Our companies get to sell their goods to anyone they want at the price they want to charge

Anyone remember the huge markup shrub slapped on foreign steel for building the 9/11 memorial?

"How dare those dirty furriners (what was the Anglo-Dutch Chorus group IIRC) sell the US cheaper than steel than we can make it ourselves in 50 YO furnaces, blah, blah"

Funny how "free trade" stops being that free once the US is on the loosing side, is it not?

9. Squander Two

Nail, head.

"The US is unwilling to make any concessions and is ignoring the huge difference in competitiveness between the two countries, which is unacceptable to China," he said.

The US is competitive?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like