back to article Brits to do £5bn worth of their Christmas shopping online

Online sales in Blighty are forecast to reach £5bn this Christmas, making up just under one-eighth of the total £40.3bn in festive shopping this season. Beancounters at Deloitte said that Brit shoppers would push online retail up 19 per cent year-on-year, driven by the general rise in popularity of internet shopping and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Khaptain Silver badge
    Trollface

Amazon Tax

Should we presume that Amazon will pay "Fuck All" in tax then...

2. John H Woods Silver badge

UK Question

Doesn't using click-and-collect immediately divest one of ones rights under the Distance Selling Regulations?

If I buy something online I can return it if I don't like it. I cannot be charged a 're-stocking fee' regardless of the T&Cs of the seller. The return cannot be refused because it has been 'used' or 'is not in its original packaging', despite the efforts of many big corporates to hide these rights from their customers.

But I think actually going to collect it from the shop counts as buying in the shop, albeit with online 'reservation' and the DSRs no longer apply. Or do they only cease if you *pay* in the shop, whereas you are covered if you pay online and just collect the goods from the shop? Any lawyers able to comment?

1. Test Man

Re: UK Question

You're not buying it in a shop, so why wouldn't distance-selling regulations apply irrespective of where you're picking it up from?

3. Lee D Silver badge

Hmmm....

I can have the snotty git behind the ticket office, earning more than I do to push a couple of buttons a day, and and who goes on strike for half the year, whose only purpose is to do manually damn replacement of tickets that should have been automated years ago. And have to suffer the hassle of getting to the Post Office in the microsecond between getting home from work and it closing.

Or...

I can have an automated ticketing system at our already partly-automated tube stations, and have a local collection point near just about everywhere populous within the M25.

Gosh. It's a difficult one. Can I have the one about having train DRIVERS, versus cheaper fares and no strikes?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

nope

I'd rather have the personal, caring, face-to-face Royal Mail experience.

You know, when your next-day delivery 'arrives' five days later in the form of 'missed you' card through the door. That tip-top customer service when your other half goes to collect your parcel because you're too busy with that thing that Royal Mail forget folk indulge themselves with - LIFE. Oh, the cosy feeling of being told to go away despite providing extensive documentation that my wife was, in fact, my wife.

The tut-sigh two-hander every time they're asked to something that is, in fact, their job. The grim delight in reciting verse from small print that they can inconvenience you however they want to the point of failing their raison d'etre.

When you catch them red-handed pretending you were out. When your package turns up two weeks late, looking like it's been looked after by a small pack of howler monkeys.

Gah. You get the point. I'm all for any type of alternative to Royal Mail / PO these days.

4. Stretch

In. Store. Two. Words. No-need to-hyphenate all-your-words.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like