back to article Spotify reckons it's worth $4 BILLION - and Netflix investor agrees

In the latest WTF valuation, music streaming site Spotify has raised around $250m in fresh funding, valuing the firm at a hefty $4bn. Spotify scooped the new financing from investors led by Technology Crossover Ventures, an early backer of Netflix, sources familiar with the deal whispered to the Financial Times. It's not …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cliff

Longshot, but if you're reading...

CEO's of Spotify, Dropbox, Snapchat etc

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!!!

Seriously, your valuations are driven by cheap banker cocaine and hyperbole. We all know your companies aren't worth that much and face it, you do too. Cash in, swap as much equity as you can for cash, and get the fuck to your private islands. You'd be insane not to.

1. Levente Szileszky

Re: Longshot, but if you're reading...

Amen.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whispa

If it looks like a bubble smells like a bubble and tastes like a bubble it's usually a bubble...

1. Cliff

Re: Whispa

Don't say that to the bitcoin rampers in various investment forums, you'll be told how you clearly don't understand and so aren't as clever as them. Of course most of them don't have technical degrees and think numbers going up wildly is proof of future performance. I suspect some shirts will be lost.

Serious question - how does one bet against overheated valuations over the next 5-10 years?

3. armyknife

Titles are for toffs.

I value my internet activities at $79,950; anyone want to invest in my Register and cycle forum posts, five thousand quid give you a 10% 'stake'?

4. Levente Szileszky

As a music service/radio replacement Spotify is so horrible...

...at even just keeping a genre (forget any thematically generated playlist) we simply stopped using it in the office and went back to Pandora which is far superior, hands down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As a music service/radio replacement Spotify is so horrible...

"...far superior..."

Honest words, but I think your throwing a hot dog down a hallway (makes no sense here). Seriously, have you seen the trash going for billions these days? It makes energy monopolies (or something I'm failing to remember) look like the answer to economic depressions. There will be people jumping from rooftops soon enough.

2. cactuss4

Re: As a music service/radio replacement Spotify is so horrible...

For a radio service I will agree Spotify is lacking. For someone who likes listening to whole albums or everything a single artists has put out, Spotify is worlds better than Pandora. I dont like Pandora because it locks you into their selection algorithm.

5. CmdrX3

A couple of historical viewpoints

Myspace - Bought for $580m sold for $35m

Bebo - Sold by founders for $850m bought back five years later by founders for $1m

I get the feeling there may be some emptier pockets in the next few years. I really don't get it, some of these investors seem to be blindly chasing the dream of the next big tech site payout much like a gambler is always chasing his losses.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A couple of historical viewpoints

The have so much free money they don't know what to do with it. The strategy is throw it at anything and see how it goes. If it works, then whoopee! else, 'so what there's more where that came from' courtesy of QE1-n.

This topic is closed for new posts.