back to article Half-blind Glassholes rejoice! 'Prescription' Google goggles a-comin'

Google could soon be building customized Glass headsets for those with prescription eyewear. The Wall Street Journal reported that the advertising giant is in talks with eyewear provider VSP Global on a deal to allow VSP to manufacture Google Glass headsets that can have corrective lenses fitted. The companies have made no …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The platform is not without its critics, however. Among them is Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, who predicts the headset devices will be only slightly cooler than Bluetooth earpieces. ®"

I think they are slightly uncooler than bluetooth earpieces. Both cause me to want to take them off the wearer and stomp on them. Both of those devices rank up there with people on the phone in the bathroom; I make sure I flush the toilet repeatedly.

1. Rukario

Lexical ambiguity

> I think they are slightly uncooler than bluetooth earpieces. Both cause me to want to take them off the wearer and stomp on them.

By "stomp on them", are you referring to the devices or the wearers?

1. Tromos

Re: Lexical ambiguity

Save time and effort. Stomp on them without taking them off.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Lexical ambiguity

Good point and would be more fun. Maybe you can ask is a better or worse as you're doing it. You know, like when they went to the eye doctor to get their eyes checked.

2. M Gale

I think they are slightly uncooler than bluetooth earpieces. Both cause me to want to take them off the wearer and stomp on them. Both of those devices rank up there with people on the phone in the bathroom; I make sure I flush the toilet repeatedly.

Well you sound like a fucking shitload of fun to be with.

Also what are you doing, sneaking into people's bathrooms to flush the bog while they are in there? Bit of a wierd fetish going on?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And what about people with hearing aids?

Same feelings? And when you were at school, did you stamp on the glasses of kids who had to wear them?

OK, you're intolerant. At least you kind of realise it's bad to be intolerant, because you post as AC. But it still isn't anything to be proud of.

Early adopters of umbrellas and bicycles got similar treatment from intolerant people. Indeed, it's reported that in some country districts bicycles were frowned on as facilitating adultery. But they also improved life for quite a lot of people.

The one thing I do think is a reasonable requirement is a red light that flashes when an image is recorded.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: And what about people with hearing aids?

Wow, someone actually just compared very early bicycles and umbrellas to.....google glasses. I've got to tell my friends about that tonight at the pub.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not only intolerant, but sarcastic.

Umbrellas are an example of something that is useful - they can keep the sun off, and they can keep the rain off in warm weather without your needing to wear heavy waterproof clothing - but inessential. My point was that early adopters were mocked, but they stuck around. And they became acceptable - to most people.

People who have to wear hearing aids know well that other people tolerate glasses - because lots of people have them and because, well, sunglasses look cool - but are frequently very intolerant of hearing aids. It's irrational, but it happens. I can imagine a number of uses for Google Glass - such as speech to text for severely deaf people - which could transform their lives. But only if they gain a degree of social acceptability.

Think about it. Speech to text may work on a phone, but do I want to have to get a phone out and hold it up every time I want to know what somebody is saying? With intolerant people like you around, do I want to draw attention to myself?

As well as speech to text, there is the possibility of visual alarms being raised when audible alarms are detected.

There are a lot of deaf people out there, and if people learn to tolerate people with funny things near their ears and eyes, their lives could be transformed. But no, you want to stamp on them.

I suspect that you are young and in possession of all your faculties. Well, here's the news. As you get older you may acquire a disability which requires you to wear some peculiar item of clothing, or even have a prosthetic arm or foot. When that happens, you will feel the way about those people that I feel right now, about you.

1. BongoJoe
            Thumb Up

An excellent post.

2. BongoJoe
        Mushroom

To be honest I am utterly intolerant towards those with umbrellas. In rural parts they are plain silly and a hat would do better. In urban areas they are an inconsideration towards others and, again, a hat would be better.

And, yes, I have had 'discussions' in the past with those in cities, particularies knobs with golf umbrellas who take up one fathom of pavement and then stick a pointed part in one's face.

Intolerance towards umbralla users should be tolerated.

4. Martin H Watson

Whenever I see someone blue toothing on a train, I start talking very loudly to whoever is sitting next to me about how silly they look. It never lasts long...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the Woz thinks their uncool then they're very uncool.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> If the Woz thinks their uncool then they're very uncool.

I don't much care what the Woz thinks, but I think people who use the wrong they're/there/their are definitely uncool.

3. Bill B

Catering for all ages

Not that I'm going to buy a GG, but I wonder how they will handle varifocals?

Maybe we could sue for age discrimination?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Catering for all ages

Why use GG for a basis for a lawsuit. Why not sue under age discrimination for retirement benefits?

1. Tom Chiverton 1

That's basically what happened for car insurance, right ?

2. Fireplug

Variflocals shouldn't make a difference. If they can achieve focus though a cylindrical (correcting astigmatism) lens then they can cope with varis.

4. Chris G

Augmented Reality?

In what way does a Google glass increase or make reality larger? Does any one at Google have a dictionary?

Or does the device feed metered amounts of Psychotropic drugs to the wearer so that the perception of reality is increased or seems larger.

Back in the '70s one of my mates was a confirmed acid head and always referred to dropping a tab as 'Augmenting the World' he must have been ahead of his time.

If enough people wear them, sooner or later the Glasses will become relatively unnoticeable but I can see some wearers getting stomped on if it appears to some that they are being recorded doing something they don't wish others to know about.

Imagine walking into a stick-up in a store wearing Googlasses the guy with the gun is definitely at least going to think about shooting you and he probably will if he is a three time loser in the States.

That will change your view of reality!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doctors and Dentists

http://mashable.com/2013/08/30/google-glass-surgery-live-stream/

I've always been interested to see what my Dentist is up to when he pokes all those dental instruments into my mouth - he could wear one of these and live stream to a monitor that was in my view.

Won't be long before Proctologists start offering a similar service from the other end.

6. Stretch

Gief.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like