back to article Google puts Dr Who's Tardis onto Street View - and you can get INSIDE

Of all the places and eras Doctor Who could visit, it seems he's decided to land in modern day Earls Court, London. At least, that's where you can find an interactive TARDIS in Google Maps, which has been beefed up to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Beeb's favourite Time Lord. A company called C Inside Media opened up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mo McRoberts

Hold on, this is a couple of months old.

The most recent Street View addition is the inside of BBC Television Centre:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/historyofthebbc/streetview/index.shtml

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A thought for those who went before.

Thanks for that, took a look, virtually wandered around the BBC for a while until I came to the words (on a window -reversed) "Mostly Harmless"

Big grin at the situation, if I'd been using a tablet I'd probably have dropped it.

2. Gareth Wright
      Thumb Up

The interactivity is new

T.A.R.D.I.S was added a while back interactivity is new

There are two Daleks in there if you click a few buttons :)

Love that you can get into the T.A.R.D.I.S from in the T.A.R.D.I.S!

2. ratfox

You missed the Dalek

Get out of the Tardis, in the field, and have a look around. Anonymised horse, sheesh.

The buttons on the control panel have tooltips indicating what they do.

Oh, and if you use the red button for the map, you can go back to Earl's Court Road, use StreetView and get inside the Tardis again, while being inside of the Tardis.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with having the Tardis on the inside of the Tardis, since it's bigger inside…

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Re: You missed the Dalek

" there is nothing wrong with having the Tardis on the inside of the Tardis, since it's bigger inside…"

IIRC it does create one of those paradox thingies though - liable to set off the Cloister Bell if you're not careful.

3. Russ Tarbox
    Devil

Repost.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/14/googles_street_view_cars_venture_inside_tardis/

4. PaulR79

Back To The Future inspired

I clicked on one of the buttons inside and a world map appears but that sound is ripped straight from Back To The Future.

1. StreetVisit

Re: Back To The Future inspired

Will happily change the button sound for you if you can recommend another button sound to use that is more who ish. :) Choose that one as couldn't seem to find anything else and it kind of worked.

1. PaulR79

Oh it wasn't intended as having a go. I love BTTF and that sound effect is burned into my memory :)

1. StreetVisit

Me too I watched that movie every day for years when I was a kid...ok adult too. I'm surprised it never made the transition from movie to series. Although whether that would be a good thing or not I'm not sure. It was the best 'time travel button' sound I could find. If anyone owns a Delorian that I can photograph and put on Google Street view let me know.

5. Sandtreader
    Happy

Classic stage set

What I love about this is it isn't CGI - you can see the weld marks and marker tape on the floor, and if you look up to the edge of the canopy there's a definite hint of the set-builder's staple, 2"x2" PSE, holding it up! You can also amuse yourself working out what all the knobs and levers came from originally :-)

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Classic stage set

Er, PSE? Pretty Shitty Equipment???

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There was one episode (Tom Baker, if I remember correctly), where in he went into 'other rooms' inside the TARDIS, and in fact, also a 'backup' control room like a mini-version.

1. Rob 5

All of the old TARDIS control rooms are archived. The Doctor's Wife, IIRC.

1. SolidSquid

Not quite. All of the Tardis control rooms are archived, not just the old ones

7. Zimmer

That field looks suspiciously like the one in the link here:

http://www.snugburys.co.uk/content/news/dalick-whos-for-ice-cream

see also here..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55881215@N03/9535597731/

1. Gareth Wright

It is :) CInsideMedia Shot the Google Business Photos tour for Snugburys Dalek ;) too.

8. John Tserkezis

I complained to google that it didn't work for me back when it was first done.

And over the last three months, I've received eleven identical "We have reviewed your request and concluded that it does not qualify for blurring or removal" auto messages.

I was not trying to have it removed, I was trying to have it 'friggin work.

1. Don Jefe

Re: I complained to google that it didn't work for me back when it was first done.

The horse works just fine... I'm not sure what's not working for you.

2. StreetVisit

Re: I complained to google that it didn't work for me back when it was first done.

It took me longer than anticipated to hot wire ;) apologies

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like