back to article New inkjet printer spits out cheap OLED monitors better than your inkjet prints letters

In a presentation at the Printed Electronics USA 2013 Conference in California, local startup Kateeva has shown off a new method of producing OLED screens that it claims will last twice as long as current models and be much cheaper to manufacture in bulk. Kateeva OLED screen printer Don't ask how much the toner costs... …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rampant Spaniel

Probably cheaper to run than my HP 8600 which apparently also requires a near vacuum and replacement cartridges (which seem to mostly be used in head cleaning) cost the same as a car. If I can fill the tank on my car for less than an inkjet printer there is an issue.

1. KirstarK

As in HP Officejet 8600 ?

The really really cheap to run inkjet printer ?

There must be something wrong with yours if its cleaning heads all the time/. Get replacement print heads

1. 20legend

New Heads

wont stop it performing the purge cycles, they will however make the print as crisp as it can be. Maybe check for a firmware update.

1. Nigel 11

Re: New Heads

Not my experience. Mine is still on its original (starter-sized) cyan cartridge, many months, many reams and a lot of black-only printing later. I'd second the comment that there's somethiong wrong with it. Or ... you don't turn it off when you're not using it, do you? At the wall socket, rather than by using the off button? That's a really bad idea.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: New Heads

Geez new heads aint cheap!! :)

I think it's going back, it's either faulty or HP are a drastically different company from the one that made the 500C \ 890 \ 1200C. After finally scrapping the 1200C I got an epson 1400 (with CIS and Dump canister thing for the waste from cleaning) and it's been awesome besides getting clogged now and again due to a minor amount of dust and less minor heat and humidity. The 8600 just seems to get nowhere near half the pages it should (even allowing for optimistic calculations from HP), chunters away often to itself (hence the cleaning comment) and cost more to keep than a coke habit. I got it to take the load off the epson which is mostly used for photo proofs now, but I think for 20 bucks for 600ml of ink for the epson I'll just buy another epson and a cis once that one dies. For something that cost a couple of hundred dollars and only get's used to print letters \ invoices etc it hasn't lived up to my expectations given my past HP experiences. Could always just be broken as you say :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. OLED problems

This is interesting, a lot of the problems with OLEDs are associated with moisture.

I was unlucky enough to buy an early MP4 £89 watch with the problem, the display was fading each day I used it from the edges.

Just to give you an idea of the improvement, my Sony MP4 player with OLED is just as bright as when first made despite being used to death.

The displays used on the S*ms*ng S series were a little prone to screen burn in the early days but since the improved firmware and production techniques this is no longer an issue.

A lot of the issues were with the blue diodes, they used a semi-organic crystalline polymer which was prone to decay and if you use the #*#*0#*#* method this is easy to see.

The more recent ones use a more stable fully polymeric compound that doesen't degrade as fast.

3. Denarius
    Pint

good to see excellent engineering efforts

Hope you succeed guys. have a beer on me, no use for tellies, but decent monitor screens are always welcome to display virtual VT100s.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Now THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is what intellectual property law is for.

Well done, and keep it up.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

{Waits for Apple/Samsung/HP/Epson/Kodak/Patent Troll to sue them}

(Thats COFFEE in the pint mug - it IS early after all, and I need my wake-up call.)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've just had a thought ...

"LG wants $13,500 for its 55-inch telly, and that's a tough sell for most pockets."

Mayybe they could reduce the price by secretly collecting personal watching habits to sell to advertisers.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Silly question but any, you know, *operating* screens ?

Cynicism aside there approach sounds better than those UHV systems (the kind where a fingerprint contaminates the chamber for a week).

So thumbs up for getting it (sort of) out of the lab.

But it's still a long way from ordering it online at <etailer of your choice>

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Silly question but any, you know, *operating* screens ?

Very true, and not only does it need to evolve to a product, it needs to keep pace with the developments of products already on sale and developing u.e. higher ppi screens and wider gamuts etc

Nice to see it moving along, some more competition should be good, better longevity will be great. Now start knocking out some 8k screens please!

8. Britt Johnston
    Happy

Driver worries ?

<<Imagine reinstalling the drivers for THAT>>

I thought this type of heavy engineering usually has a c64 as a controller, and home grown code.

9. heldeman

3D Printers

What,s next? They can now print Pizzas (NASA), Body parts including bone and hearts and skin. Things from various plastic and all colors. Absolute clear glass like stuff and various ceramic goodies. Liquid metal which you just after printing heat in a kiln to get rid of the fluid and you have your solid metal parts. They print solar cells and circuit boards and there is much, much more they can print today. A company in Israel printed a car and want to go in to production in 2015 and Ford have many massive printers producing parts. Will most things be printed and not manufactured in the near future? Wont this put people out of work.

10. Dick Emery

5" 15" 55"

So where is my 17" (laptop) and 24" (desktop) versions?

This topic is closed for new posts.