back to article French Joli OS surrenders on the desktop, retreats to cloud

Jolicloud, a company headquartered in Paris, France, has surrendered its ambition to give the world a desktop operating system and will henceforth operate only in the cloud. The company has been around since 2009 and has crafted a cloudy environment that conceptually resembles Chrome OS, inasmuch as offers not much more than a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Happy

Tsk tsk...

".... headquartered in Paris, France, has surrendered....."

I see what you did there!

2. earl grey
    Devil

Joli OS users seem largely unfussed

both of them?

3. wolfetone Silver badge

No Great Loss

I had installed JoliOS on two netbooks previously, and wasn't convinced it was any good. The first netbook I installed it on decided to stop booting up in to the desktop after a week of light use (at which point my girlfriend who owned it ordered me to put Windows XP back on it). The second netbook, one I owned, faired better. But I still found it a bit sluggish to use compared to the netbook running Ubuntu and then eventually LinuxMint.

It was a nice idea, but as with everything French, you couldn't rely on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No Great Loss

Lubuntu also runs just fine on our Acer Aspire One.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: No Great Loss

Actually the girlfriends netbook was an Acer Aspire One. I will try that out next time she leaves me alone long enough with it!

4. Ian 55

One of the choices for Jogglers

Until someone ported Android to the Joggler, Joli was one of the best choices to replace the O2 firmware (especially after O2 took away the original reasons for having a Joggler in a compulsory update).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What were they thinking?

Between Windows, OSX and various flavours of Linux (including Chrome OS), it's not exactly an easy market to enter, even if you have a pretty spectacular OS. Anyone remember BeOS?

6. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Linux

Netbook alternatives

There are a number of low-resource Linux variants (of which Joli is/was one, based on Ubuntu originally IIRC).

If you really want a Chrome-like experience, there are the various "ChromiumOS" builds by Hexxeh: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

My personal preference is Bodhi, which offers a tablet-style interface if you want it. For a more XP-like interface, there's LXLE, Peppermint, Lubuntu or AntiX. Slitaz is very small and speedy for older netbooks, but with limited software repositories.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

that conceptually resembles Chrome OS, inasmuch as offers not much more than a browser and a persistent desktop that offers shortcuts to, and a launcher for, your preferred web apps.

I used this around 2009 / 2010 it also had a spotify client which you could install using the help of WINE. It was a brilliant idea and a godsend for my netbook, but there were just too many rough edges that never looked like getting sorted.

It's a shame as I'd really like something which lets me access all of my cloud Apps in SSB's but also lets me keep some things installed locally. Chome OS doesn't cut it and I can't find an up to date SSB for Linux or OS X that is any good. Mozilla Prism was great, but that was discontinued

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Linux

Peppermint ICE

You should look at Peppermint's implementation of SSBs: http://peppermintos.com/guide/ice/

This topic is closed for new posts.