back to article Ultra-green Europeans scorn Facebook's data centre blueprint

Facebook’s Open Compute Project has found little overt support in Europe to date, the firm’s data centre boss said today, in part because of those crazy continentals’ obsession with carbon neutrality over efficiency. Tom Furlong, Facebook’s veep of site operations, told the Datacenter Dynamics Conference in London that the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Facepalm

"carbon neutral" versus "efficiency"

I don't really see the disagreement.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Typically its front-end servers run at 60 to 70 per cent utilisation. However, during the leap-second bug crisis last year, he said, that jumped up to 100 per cent. Rather than prompting the question “do we need more servers”, he said the question raised was whether we have too many."

100% - he is either lying or stupid or both. Durrr queuing theory 101 (the course we teach to grade 12s)

1. Jemma

McDonald's refugee

On the basis of that quote it does kind of make you wonder how he escaped working at a McDonalds.

I've been reading alot about NASA computing and something called STAR which was a fault tolerant system for space probes. basically the idea was to have 3 or more of all components - two of which were unpowered backups - thus increasing the mtbf which in probes that are a little out of AA or RAC jurisdiction is useful.

Why not adapt the STAR idea for data centres creating systems that have multiple multicore processors - the majority of which are only powered at high usage rates. If a current system uses say two 12 core processors at 65% but powers all its cores its wasting power compared to a system that uses say 6 x 4 core equivalents of which one or more is only prefetched and run when load requires. This would give the added advantage that if a processor starts to throw errors it can be demoted from a primary to a load dependent one.

It makes the software and the initial hardware outlay a little more complex/expensive - but means savings in downtime & cooling etc, not to mention power bills..

3. Jemma

General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett.. in the chair..

Thanks for that quote... made my afternoon!

"Don't be disgusting Darling! I wouldn't lick a German if he was glazed in honey"

"Hmm.. you mean spy on our spy as he searches for their spy, might be fun. But we'll need a wound, a convincing wound" *ponders, shoots Darling in the foot* "yes that should do nicely.."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If one person want you to stop cutting down trees, he is unlikely to be a supported of of systems that are designed to get more out of the trees while cutting down the same number.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like