back to article SuperStride Me: Reg man attempts to walk off GIANT CURRY

A Malaysian curry laksa is a giant bowl of prawn stock and coconut milk soup laced with spices, two types of noodles, tofu, meat and soybean sprouts. It is usually served with a big dollop of chilli. Laksa may be delicious (and really should have become the UK's number one pub lunch years ago), but is an insane thing to eat if …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joe Werner Silver badge

Tracking fitness...

While the app that comes with this desk seems to be lacking there are ways around it using step counters or gait sensors (like Polar's S1 or S3) combined with a fitness watch. They sometimes can even be hooked up to the cellphone (Polar's stuff cannot, many others that follow ANT+ or low power Bluetooth can). Combine this with any of the running apps (like Runtastic) you can share your progress. Actually this is the part I _hate_ about runtastic, these things always try to _force_ you to social network, which I do not want...

2. JDX Gold badge

2kg in 4 days?

That does not sound either realistic or healthy to me. 1lb a day?!

1. Thecowking

Re: 2kg in 4 days?

As a Malaysian by descent, let me assure you that a laksa, properly spiced, can produce that kind of weight loss in a day quite easily.

You'd be amazed at what it shakes free.

1. Elmer Phud

"You'd be amazed at what it shakes free."

He did say he went on to running after a while . . .

Simulates that desperation and hope that the last one in loaded up a full magazine of extra soft.

2. hardboiledphil

Any rapid weight loss like that is most likely water loss not fat loss.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It would be extremely difficult to lose 2kg in 4 days. Since 1 kg of fat corresponds to about 9000 calories, you would have to have a calorie deficit of around 4500 calories a day. Running a marathon on a starvation diet can give you that level of calorie deficit.

As someone else says, most likely water loss, unless the author has an abnormally high metabolism and the increased activity is combined with a severe diet. For someone who weighs around 80-100kg, gaining or losing 2kg because of fluctuations in the amount of salt eaten, resulting in changes to water weight, is pretty easy.

Having said that, increased exercise is good. Frankly, spending all day walking at 2kph probably only adds an extra 500 calories of additional burn, but the biggest thing that exercise does is increase your metabolism by adding muscle mass (even aerobic exercise can add some muscle mass). That increased metabolism earns interest on your weight loss.

1. Goldmember

Your weight can fluctuate +/- 1kg in a day anyway, so maybe he weighed himself at different times of the day; the night before the desk arrived, then in the morning 4 days later. Losing 1kg in 4 days is entirely possible, especially if you're clocking up 10k steps at a pace that gets you "mildly sweaty".

1. JDX Gold badge

1kg is quite a lot to fluctuate over the course of a day, if you don't imbibe all your food and fluids in one go and aren't drinking several pints at lunch.... Ah - he's a journalist.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"1kg is quite a lot to fluctuate over the course of a day, if you don't imbibe all your food and fluids in one go and aren't drinking several pints at lunch.... Ah - he's a journalist."

Perhaps if you are relively slim this is a lot to fluctuate over a day, if you are a bit more robust, that is nothing! If i were to go out and walk 5 miles i'd weigh about 1-1.5kg less when i got back.

3. Steve Foster
    Joke

@Thecowking

"You'd be amazed at what it shakes free."

Yes, but I like my liver and kidneys exactly where they are, thank you very much.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An alternative

Yet I was more than a little sad when the delivery chaps came to take the treadmill desk away.

As a cyclist, maybe some peddling might be in order. See if you can organise a set of pedals hooked up to a flywheel and use that to drive an alternator.

The power could be used to power a small tablet or laptop — computing with renewable energy.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: An alternative

"As a cyclist, maybe some peddling might be in order. See if you can organise a set of pedals hooked up to a flywheel and use that to drive an alternator."

There was a static bike you could use for cycling GTA instead of driving - screw office work.

2. Sporkinum

Aside from generating power with it, an ergometer sounds like it might work better than a treadmill, since it is fixed and you aren't bouncing all over the place. I personally can't stand treadmills, so when I go to the gym at work, I ride the ergometer. His issue with sweat would be an issue with me too. I would have a hard time slowing down enough to keep from sweating. I guess I'll just have to get exercise at my desk by wiggling my leg with the music I listen too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My problem there is that then I start tapping to the music, then colleagues complain.

5. thomas k.

Quiet?

"Quiet, well-designed and pleasant to use."

Yet, in Part 1, you told us:

"I quickly noticed the treadmill's noise. Each footfall makes a sound and like the treadmill they get louder as speed increases. At 3kmph, the treadmill starts to make a mechanical whine that well and truly rises above background noise." And, "[...] also found the increased cadence meant more and louder footfalls because the treadmill emitted a louder and more annoying pitch."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quiet?

You don't think he got accustomed to the noise, do you?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfermented Soy in the food, Hmm..

I wouldn't eat anything containing unfermented Soy, like Tofu, too many nasty compounds still in it, and would be suspicious of the 'goodness' of Soy sprouts too until I see proof that the sprouts lack the nasty compounds.

This topic is closed for new posts.