back to article Microsoft sues Acacia for suing Microsoft

The hoop-snake world of patent trolling just took another bite on its own tail, with Microsoft suing Acacia Research over licenses Microsoft licensed from Acacia Research, but which Acacia Research has declined to license to Microsoft. Currently under seal, the lawsuit has been filed in the southern district, New York, of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thorne
    FAIL

Lets not nix low-quality software patents as slide to unlock was an awesome idea that nobody had ever thought off.

Now where did I put my lawyers.......

2. hitmouse

This is from Amazon's Jeff Bezos-owned Washington Post ?

3. Oh Homer
    Black Helicopters

Is it just me...

Or does Acacia's president, Matthew Vella, look suspiciously like Lex Luthor?

Just sayin'.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Victoria's Secret

Rather hilarious seeing this company amongst a list that reads like a who's who of big tech companies!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android Tax?

“Acacia's lawsuits are the worst kind of abusive litigation behaviour, attempting to extract payment based on litigation tactics and not the value of its patents.” So kinda like the Android tax, then.

1. Oh Homer
      Terminator

Re: Android Tax?

Technically, Microsoft mainly uses extortion and NDAs in boiler rooms and back alleys (well, OK, locked conference rooms), not litigation in the courtroom, which I suppose is what Howard is really advocating, based on the principle that intimidation is a more effective (and certainly more efficient) weapon than a full-frontal assault.

Indeed, it would make a refreshing change for Microsoft to grow a pair and try litigating over its mysterious "patents", because then the world would see them exposed as the con-artists they really are.

The nearest we ever got was the Barnes & Noble case, but unfortunately the Borg assimilated them into the collective before we could learn more than just the Truth®, the Whole Truth® and nothing but Microsoft's patented Truth®.

(Bring back the Microsoft Borg icon!)

6. nematoad
    Unhappy

Now we know

"While we support what Mr. Goodlatte’s trying to do on trolls, if the CBM is included, we’d be forced to oppose the bill."

This from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/11/20/software-patent-reform-just-died-in-the-house-thanks-to-ibm-and-microsoft/

Now I naively thought that Congress wrote the laws in the USA, NOT big business. Shows how out-of-touch I am these days.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like