back to article Hate Skype now it's part of Microsoft? How about a Chinese clone, then?

Look out Skype; China Mobile has launched a new VoIP service in a bid to snag international users making or receiving calls from the People’s Republic. Launched by China Mobile International, the Hong Kong based subsidiary of the world’s largest operator, Jego is available free of charge to iOS and Android users. Any user …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jego Alliance vs UKUSA Alliance

With Jego you pay to be spied on, with NSA you can let them pay to spy on you.

2. Chris G

One Telcom to rule them all

China Mobile’s vision of ‘Communications without Borders’.” ®

Nj Hao, time to learn Cantonese or Mandarin and kow tow to our new overlords.

Courtesy of the Beijing World Domination League

3. Danny 5

Fear

I'm not sure what i fear more, being with Microsoft and pretty much getting a guarantee your data is not safe and will be looked at by whoever, or going to China and pretty much getting a guarantee your data is not safe and will be looked at by whoever,

Fuck this, i'm leaving the internet.

1. returnmyjedi

I guess it boils down to which country's government you want to snoop on you more. I think I'll go with the US, only because Obama will be too busy on the golf course to browse my juvenile ebay purchases (Transformers comics 150-175 arrive today!)

1. Danny 5

woa!

You sir, are now the object of my envy!

Original transformer comics? I still have the original cartoons hidden somewhere, right up till the golden age with Fortress Maximus, Scorponok, the head - and targetmasters and the beginning of the golden age!

Man i feel old now!

2. Oh Homer
        Big Brother

Re: "which country's government you want to snoop on you"

I don't want anyone snooping on me, but if given a dichotomous choice then I'd choose the country that has no legal jurisdiction over me, which in this case is China.

If the UK ever formed the sort of "special relationship" with China that it currently has with the US (e.g. unfettered access to all my private data, and extradition without even prima facie evidence), then I'd have to think twice about it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fear

@ Danny 5

No need to leave The internet. Just ditch Skype or internet calling apps. Besides there is a lot more besides Skype and cccp (Cheep Cwappy Chinese Pwoducts) :-)

Actually why do we even need Microsoft anyway? Wth are they doing here. These guys are already the richest on the planet, isn't it ime they get off!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

My utter disdain for

Skype has nowt to do with MS. I detested it long before M$ became involved.....

1. Lennart Sorensen

Re: My utter disdain for

No kidding. The awful protocol, peer to peer disaster, ruining company networks, is just terrible. And there were plenty of standards compliant systems out there before skype showed up and they never do provide a gateway to those even though they have often promised to make one whenever the media remembers to ask why they are a closed environment.

Skype has always been about vendor lock-in and for the first while using the end users resources to run the system. What an evil company. I suppose Microsoft is a sensible owner of skype in the end.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doh?

Why is this news?

There have been gazillions skype alternatives around for ages. Freecall, Voipbuster, voipstunt (sure these are from the same company but...). How come these never make it into El Reg? Prejudice?

6. Oh Homer
    Terminator

Hate Skype now it's part of the NSA

Fixed that for you.

Although I wasn't too thrilled about the Borg assimilating it either.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like