back to article Microsoft zaps self in foot with WinPho/Office remote control app

Microsoft Research has released something cute: a Windows Phone app that acts as a “remote control” for Office 2013. Office Remote, available here, “turns your phone into a smart remote that interacts with Microsoft Office on your PC. The app lets you control Word, Excel, and PowerPoint from across the room, so you can walk …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. chekri

" Another user reports it is also impossible to install the app from a Windows Phone "

Well that user is wrong, I installed the app from a Windows Phone with no problems ∴ it is possible

2. Oh Homer
    Windows

SNAFU

Hey, it's Microsoft, what else did you expect?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SNAFU @Oh Homer 04:35

"Hey, it's Microsoft, what else did you expect?"

A trite comment from you. And here we are! It's funny - you've been here one month and already whenever I see your name on an MS article's comments I think, "Ah - Eadon Junior's off again ..."

1. Oh Homer
        Windows

Funny, I make a comment about Microsoft, and your reaction is to start stalking me.

FYI: "Our records show you have been a member since 2007-12-17"

Do you need my home telephone number too, or is that enough for Microsoft you to be going on with?

Also, could you explain what bearing my identity has on Microsoft's propensity to screw up?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Different AC here - @Oh Homer - If you don't want someone looking at your posts and making comments based on them, there is always the "Post anonymously" button.

1. Oh Homer
            Headmaster

"If you don't want someone looking at your posts and making comments based on them"

I don't especially care if you do, one way or another, I'm just remarking on the irony of an anonymous poster believing that "exposing" the identity of the messenger would somehow invalidate the message or, failing that, silence the messenger with intimidation.

I didn't say that such behaviour was likely to be effective, although apparently my stalker does, otherwise he wouldn't have attempted it in the first place.

But effective or otherwise, I don't really see much point in me posting anonymously, when I'm already posting pseudonymously, which makes my stalker's expectations all the more ridiculous.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm using it and it is cool

I installed it on my Lumia and Surface 2 Pro and it is a cool application. In PowerPoint beside forward/back buttons you can jump to any slide clicking its thumbnail on the phone, and it also shows slides notes on the phone. Excel navigation is less interesting to me, but you can move around your spreadsheet (you can also jump to any named range) and change zoom level.

I'm in Italy, but I usually have my devices with English language and Italian regional settings, and I had no issue with this settings.

THat it doesn't work with ARM devices is clearly stated when you download it. People should start to understand the "requirements" section usually means what it is required to run something.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: "THat it doesn't work with ARM"

I think this is the point of the cynicism. MS so much want people to support WindowsRT and then can't be arsed to do it themselves, that says a lot.

4. APJ
    Stop

This appears to be almost completely incorrect...

It just took me about two minutes to install this on my phone and laptop and begin remotely controlling a PPT. My phone is UK English.

It's actually pretty nice. The notes to the slides are shown on the phone screen, which is a nice touch, and there's a laser pointer feature as well as slide browser. I can't imagine using it very often, but it certainly functions as it is described. The fact that you can't install the PowerPoint plugin to Office RT is stated in the readme and really isn't much of a surprise is it?

1. dogged

Re: This appears to be almost completely incorrect...

Yeah, but it's lovely commentard bait.

I almost suspect that something is wrong because we have't had 34 variation on "LOL M$ SUX" yet. Still, they'll roll in eventually once Barry Shitpeas is awake.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This appears to be almost completely incorrect...

Barry Shitpeas is probably a script, I suspect it has crashed, just wait for the cron job to restart him and we can look forward to the sort of comments which wouldn't succeed in a Turing test.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I really hate to mention this ..

.. but I have had this feature on my iPhone for Keynote for absolute years. On an iPad it's even better because you get a decent preview. As a matter of fact, there are quite a few solutions out there (some of which even work with Powerpoint on either Windows or OSX) so pardon me for not being impressed. It's only new to Microsoft.

Just make sure you use an ad hoc WiFi link or Bluetooth, having to depend on another network for controlling your presentation is not a good idea in my experience.

6. Bladeforce

Anonymous Coward

(Both of them) need banning, i'll have a word with the site ;)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

Seriously, I expect a little more from El Reg - e.g. maybe try it out, maybe read the download page requirements - "Microsoft Office 2013. This app does not work with Office 2013 RT"

or... just find the clickbait comments and amp them up!!!

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

This app does not work with Office 2013 RT

So why the fuck should anyone else code apps for that platform, is Microsoft can't be assed to do it? Hmm?

8. Gordon 11

Just copying?

So a bit like LibreOffice Impress Remote?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.libreoffice.impressremote

which has been around for many months.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

maybe try it out before flaming?

Works perfectly for me. And I'm in Oslo... Norway rather than Minnesota.

So I dont really get the whole "zaps self in foot" bit. But thanks for the tip!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like