back to article Biggest quantum cluster does not compute ... yet

It's currently the biggest thing in the smallest world: researchers from the ANU, Sydney University and Tokyo have created the world's largest entangled state to date. Demonstrating a commendable why-do-it-by-halves approach, the researchers have done rather better than a “quantum leap” here: they say they've created an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Usual answer for noise in low power signals is cooling.

So wrap the crystals in a cooling jacket.

Simple answer is a closed loop with anti freeze, being good down to a few 10s of degrees below C.

Beyond that you're into LO2, LN2, LH2 and LHe, with progressive levels of nastiness.

Thumbs up for the enormous enlargement but the computing procedure sounds more like the days of analog computing, when programmers re-configured the wiring between op-amp modules to change what was being computed. Keep in mind that tech was how the early flight simulators could give real time response to control inputs when the digital hardware of the day would take seconds to solve the equivalent equations and drive the actuators.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

name

"To create the 10,000-mode cluster state..."

Called a clusterfuck?

3. Werner McGoole

Like knitting with light

Very clever.

1. Forget It

Re: Like knitting with light

[Like knitting with light]

Emperor's new clothes (Hans Christian Andersen)

or

Emperor's new mind (Roger Penrose)

let's see...

4. Crisp

"quantum leap”

The smallest possible amount of leap.

5. Mr. Peterson
    Unhappy

if Mesmer were alive today

quantum computing would doubtless be his chosen field of study

6. Robert Helpmann??
    Joke

Ahh... I Get It *

In what's known as 'back action', the act of measurement changes the system you've just measured.”

This the new RPN.

* No, not really.

7. John Tserkezis

Was I working with quantum machinery 20 years ago and didn't realise it?

I've worked on a whole range of equipment that changed its behaivour just by me looking at it.

Usually it would fail, come in for repair, work perfectly while I was looking at it, then fail ten minutes after the customer got it back. It was called "Technician Syndrome" (yes, that's where the name came from).

These boffins manged to make something functional out of something that was pretty much the bane of my existance. Cool.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like