back to article Dark horse shocker: Verizon first to ship KitKat update for Moto X

Motorola's Moto X will be one of the first smartphones to be upgraded to Android 4.4 "KitKat," and in a surprising break with tradition, customers on Verizon Wireless will be the first to receive the update. Verizon may be the US's largest wireless carrier, but its track record for delivering Android updates is lousy. Phones …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Make the most of it, you'll not be getting an update to the next one.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'a touchless "find my phone" feature'

What is it? Some kind of undead spirit that you can call on.

Or do you have to whistle and clap?

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

That is a shock

I wonder if Google rolling out the Nexus 4 without LTE expressly to poke a finger in Verizon's eye actually had an effect on their attitude? I think that was the first time a manufacturer had the gall to stand up to them.

OTOH I will be blocking the update on my Nexus 4. I don't want the screwed up SMS app and all the cloudy garbage. Google stepping on my balls asking every 10 minutes if I want to switch my Youtube account to my G+ account has got me nostalgic about the Microsoft good-ol-days.

At least they were out-and-out unapologetic bastards out to make a quick buck from day one and didn't bullshit about "do no evil" and other hippy whalesongs.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Haters hate...

Given that Moto are squeezing this update out 3 weeks after Kitkat launched on Nexus 5, they're obviously sticking to their guns at keeping it close to bog-standard with limited changes. So what's to stop more quick updates in future? Why wouldn't they?

Great work. They deserve a pint or ten.

Find my phone: I did some reading before I posted. Looks like the 'Touchless Control' keyword listening thingy has added a new trick. You'd have to shout "OK Google Now, find my phone"

1. Mr Fuzzy

Re: Haters hate...

But only if you use US English as the system language. Nobody else is deemed worthy of shouting at a device without jabbing at it first.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fixing unspecified bugs

I never worry about what bugs an update will fix, unless there is one that is really getting in my way. I'm far more worried about what bugs an update adds.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like