back to article Salesforce slaps Amazon, Google with glove: 'I'm THE FIRST $1bn-quarter enterprise cloud biz'

Salesforce shares stumbled down 1.5 percent on Monday after the customer relationship management company reported third quarter revenues that narrowly beat analyst expectations. The company booked sales of $1.072bn, with a billion coming from its core businesses, and $72m from other assets such as platform-as-a-service cloud …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Let me get this straight...

...in the beginning we punished a company for losing money.

...then we punished a company for not making enough money.

...then we punished a company for not growing revenues fast enough.

...then we punished a company simply because it didn't "meet analyst expectations".

...then we punished a company because they couldn't beat analyst expectations.

...now we punish a company because they can't beat analyst expectations by enough.

What the fucking fuck?!?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: Let me get this straight...

In other words,

Analyst's should be tarred, feathered and then hung drawn and quartered before being keel hauled.

1. big_D Silver badge

That's too good for them... Maybe there should be a red hot poker in there...

2. Timmay

Could not agree more - sorry, we only made $8.22 billion profit last year, rather than the $8.25 billion YOU thought we should make. You may proceed to dump our shares now, while we simultaneously sack all our lower-level staff to cut costs, and award our executives pay increases.

3. Getriebe

I work for a company that was quoted in New York, and has now gone private because of similar expectations. However much communication you did with analysists there were other influences in their reading of your position and so they would call the stock at the end of a qtr in almost random fashion.

The only slight reason I could give for SF is that there is a feeling in their sector that they hav epeaked and other offerings or no offering will eat their share, so unless they grow a lot they will fall. The MySpace of the CRM business

2. big_D Silver badge

Azure

as I read the headline, I thought i had read it wrong, given that MS were saying how Azure has grown into yet another $1 Billion business for them...

I guess he doesn't let facts get in the way of a good headline...

1. Timmay

Re: Azure

To be fair, he is quite overly specific in his claim, the "first $1bn per quarter enterprise cloud business", where Azure is probably a $1 billion per year business, and besides which, Microsoft isn't just an "enterprise cloud business".

You have to love these very specific statements though - "I'm the highest earning person in the world who's name is Tim and posts on The Register under the name of Timmay"

3. majorursa

Wrong data

Isn't the publication of wrong data on a company kind of embarassing if that is your product?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like