back to article Indonesia turns Twitter into very leaky diplomatic bag

Allegations about Australian spying on Indonesia – or, more accurately, Australia's political response to the allegations – has set the Indonesian president, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, or SBY as he's known to the polysyllabically-challenged, on an epic Twitter-rant. The allegations – which included the accusation that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. json

Job Good Translation eh?

..very sounding authentic!

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Re: Job Good Translation eh?

For a machine translation, I thought it was actually pretty good - especially considering the Indonesian love of acronyms and abbreviations.

However, a lot of the noise coming from JKT probably has a lot to do with posturing before the 2014 elections, for the benefit of Indonesian voters, rather than actual shock at discovering the nefarious deeds of the Australian Embassy.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Twitter diplomacy

Makes sense.

SBY is dealing with a complete Twit in Tony Abbott.

3. btrower

Good for him

I doubt that the behavior of our governments reflects the wishes of the people. I know it is a hard world out there, but there has to be some limit. Invading the privacy of another head of state that way is not just an attack on the President, it is an attack on his country.

If Canada is part of this or similar shenanigans, and I expect we are somehow, I hope Canadians will insist on a formal apology and a credible pledge to mend our ways.

1. 142

Re: Good for him

You can assume you are. Read up on the Five Eyes, an intelligence gathering/sharing pact between the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. Even if Canada was not directly involved in this particular incident, your government would likely have had access to the information.

4. Tony Paulazzo

So, it's UK, USA & AUS all fucking with democracy and spying on their 'friends', also, all countries El Reg residing in, synchronicity? or are you the oil in the fly in the ointment? uppity serfs want to know...

Also, who the fcuk are Indonesia, do they make our iProducts or own oil - or do they hold a <shudder>, special relationship with China?

Wouldn't it be funny if the European Union threw us (UK), out for having alleged ties with American expansionism & creeping tyranny, and created their own internet which we couldn't access. Being that the Europeans have a healthy regard for consensual adult entertainment it would be better than ours and still child friendly.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

I have a plan, let's swap Canada and the UK. The UK can be part of NAFTA and we'll be part of the EU. Seems to be what the UK want, after all. Are the UKIP running that country yet?

1. Oh Homer
        Mushroom

"Are the UKIP running that country yet?"

That's about as likely as the US becoming a democracy.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I have a plan, let's swap Canada and the UK"

Sounds a super idea. Of course your economy would be reduced to the state of Greece by the EU telling you that you couldn't develop oil shales and other non-conventional oil and gas resources, and you'd suddenly find your country full of foreign criminals that you can't deport.

On the plus side the Quebecois would be delighted with the reunion with the motherland, and you could enroll in that epic sucess of a common currency.

Tar Sands, not shale. Big difference. Difference being: 99.999% of the issues with the tar sands can be solved by just putting a bloody nuclear reactor up there to supply the energy necessary to support clean extraction and proper post-processing.

Believe it or not, that would be easier under the EU than the US.

And we have a country full of criminals we can't deport. They're called Americans.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

" solved by just putting a bloody nuclear reactor up there to supply the energy necessary to support clean extraction and proper post-processing. Believe it or not, that would be easier under the EU than the US"

What's the US got to do with building a nuclear plant in Canada?

What's the US got to do with building a nuclear plant in Canada?

Massive US political pressure to wind down our nuclear estate and huge funding of the local NIMBY cliques to shout down the Bruce power proposal.

2. Irony Deficient

northern exposure

Trevor, in 2012 there were 9,414 permanent residents of Canada from the US. Are you stating that all of these 9,414 people are criminals? Or are you stating that all criminals in Canada are called “Americans”? Or are you using the word Americans in its broadest “from somewhere in the Western Hemisphere” sense?

@Iron Deficient

Not all of those 9,414 people are criminals. There are, however, more than enough who are bothering the city that I personally live in, thank you very much. If you were really interested you could talk to the police departments from all of our major cities and ask them about Americans and their involvement with organized crime. Long and short of it: they are bringing a great deal of it here, and they are bringing a great deal of expertise in "picking up the pieces" of broken organizations once our cops smash one.

For every crime ring we dissipate it seems two well-trained Americans come up and establish new ones. Apparently crime is so very profitable in the US that they are establishing international franchises. Wonderful.

1. Irony Deficient

cold southern comfort

Trevor, certainly one person with a record like Michael Sean Stanley’s is more than enough for anywhere. Why is it that Canada cannot deport between one and 9,410* of these people in Canada of US origin who are criminals? From your linked article, apparently Stanley self-deported to Seattle, and Alberta Justice has stated that they will prosecute Stanley should he return to Canada. Do you think that Alberta Justice made the right decision in not pursuing extradition of Stanley back to Alberta? Or do you agree with the official Opposition, that Stanley should be extradited?

* — In 2012, I knew three of these 9,414 people, and none of these three was a criminal. The two who are still among the living brazenly continue with their non-criminal lifestyles.

1. Irony Deficient

oops, missed the ten-minute Edit window

For what it’s worth, Stanley has been arrested down here, in case Alberta Justice decides to extradite after all.

2. ian 22
                  Joke

Re: cold southern comfort

Surely the Yanks can complain about (aboot) Canadians (cif: www.tedcruz.org/ )!

Not to mention those Telly personalities taking jobs from loyal hard-working Americans.

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: cold southern comfort

@Irony Deficient Out treaties basically state that because our justice system is determined to be "equivalent" to the US, deporting people to the US becomes a miserable mess. If we don't want 'em then the US doesn't want 'em either and they would much rather that we pay the bill for banging the bastards up.

As for pursuing extradition, it's pointless. American's give zero fucks whatsoever about Canadian laws. Where we are supposed to to have jurisdiction, they repeatedly don't care. They even put immense political pressure on our politicians resulting in them breaking our own laws and having innocents tortured.

The prevailing view seems to be one of pointlessness. Canada must comply with American legal demands and Americans will only ever comply with Canadian requests if they are politically expedient for America. Sometimes they'll even deny our requests seemingly just to keep us "in our place" (if the comments of their ambassador are anything to go by.)

Even worse, the barbarians still have the death penalty and they murder our citizens, even we offer to repatriate them and keep them locked up for life. (Texas especially seems enamored of this.)

There is no justice in working with Americans. There is no point in asking them for help either. We are not "allies". We are a servitor nation. Allies would not treat each other the way America treats Canada...or individual Canadians. It is really as simple as that.

You don't ask your owner for favours; he'll take said impunity out of your hide.

So yeah, I think my province did right. The bastard is American's problem now. If he ever sets foot on Canadian soil again, we'll arrest him and $deity I hope they'll sent him to a jail cell in fucking Nunavut.

He's not worth the massive amount of political capital it would take to extradite him. Anything Canada "wins" that resembles justice will come out of our hides in the fullness of time. We might win an extradition of this man...but at what cost? American playing stubborn on Softwood lumber rights during the next pissing contest, costing hundreds of thousands of Canadian jobs (again)?

What price, justice? And what is the tax that must be paid on it to America's ego?

5. Oh Homer
    Happy

Never mind the story...

I'm still trying to get over "Bambang".

LOL!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like