back to article Underage teens' Facebook posts are still FACE ACHE ads ... bitch

Facebook is making it clearer than ever to its users that their social media mutterings will continue to be crammed with ads. Last Friday, the Mark Zuckerberg-run company updated some of the wording of its Ts&Cs, after first proposing the tweaks in the summer. "We proposed these changes because we thought we could improve the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Crisp

Adblock

In your face Zuckerberg!

1. RobHib

Re: Adblock

...And Ghostery etc also helps.

Still, ads and privacy issues are why my Facebook and Twitter accounts go unused.

2. LarsG

We will see

We will see what happens when the wrong kind of ads 'accidentally' target the wrong 'age group'.

Litigation perhaps? Government intervention perhaps?

3. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Adblock

Dont forget about PrivDog and DoNotTrackMe

2. Ted Treen
    Alert

But

"She repeatedly insisted that Facebook cared deeply about the privacy of its 1.2 billion worldwide user base"...

...and I could repeatedly insist that the moon is made of green cheese. Still doesn't make it so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But

I think it's semantically correct that Facebook cares deeply about your privacy. IMHO they care about how they can abuse it. Nice fib.

3. btrower

Endless stream of lies

If they gave a damn about privacy they could easily make it possible.

Facebook, Apple, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft or any other large player could easily give their user base genuine privacy. They do not want to do that because spying on you is cheap to implement and worth money.

Has anybody seen a clear and coherent plan from any of these players that puts the needs of users first in their security plan?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lousy targetting.

When I do see ads on Facebook - which is usually only on my mobile phone they are so wide of the mark in terms of advertising that you wonder if FB have tried at all or if they are just serving up any old crap they can. I can understand that FB need to get income some how but :

I don't run a business so why would I be interested in machines to allow me to take payments for things.

I don't run a business so why would I be interested in Salesforce.com

I'm married (and FB knows it) so the endless stream of adverts for dating sites is a bit stupid - not even offering me clandestine affairs.

Telling it I don't want to see adverts for on-line gambling just seem to make them deliver more of them....

I could go on.....

1. solo

Re: Lousy targetting.

That is a positive sign if FB actually doesn't know you at that personal level.

However, what if advertisers want to specifically target married men because their mining suggests they respond more to dating lures?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Shock! Horror!

"Indeed, a recent study showed that a whopping 83 per cent of kids had lied about their age on social media..."

In other news, so have most adults at some point.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She repeatedly insisted that Facebook cared deeply about the privacy of its 1.2 billion worldwide userbase, but the other 5.8 billion people on the planet said MEH!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like