back to article London businesses to signal UNSWERVING LOYALTY to capital with .london domain

Thousands of Blighty businesses have apparently expressed an interest in getting their mitts on .london domains after ICANN gave the new domain name the go-ahead. Companies that want to ensure you know they're in London, or perhaps want to go for regionally translated dialects on their websites, will be able to apply for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Styles

We of the ROELF (Rest of England Liberation Front) want a suitable domain for ourselves.

1. Alister
      Coat

not.in.london

2. Tom 7

Not in London

poundland?

3. craigj
      Pint

Here ya go...

.co.uk

You can buy me a pint to thank me.

1. Euripides Pants
        Pint

Re: Here ya go...

Damn! Beat me to it.

Here's your pint (and an upvote) ----->

2. jai

patriotic directors?

technically, the OED defines patriotism as

"support for one’s country"

so really, patriotic directors will be sticking with .co.uk domains, surely.

but i don't need to tell you lot that, you're journalists after all

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: patriotic directors?

London is its own country. Nothing outside its borders matters because no one outside its borders can afford to buy legislation. The dinners and opera tickets aren't cheap y'know.

3. knarf

Not Good

Another increase in the London Gravity well for business and money. Just in time for the 2014 Scottish Referendum, United Kingdom (Except London cos it special).

1. DAN*tastik

Re: Not Good

"... business and money."

You forgot to mention stupidity.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If Scotland votes "Yes", when the subsidy to them stops it could be spent on the North of England; but it won't. It'll be spent in London.

Actually...we should probably put it to one side so we can afford to build refugee camps when Scotland collapses.

3. Tom 38

If Scotland votes Yes, there is no reason to put up with the pretence of Britain anymore, we should devolve to the ancient kingdoms of Anglia, Mercia, Northumbria, Wessex, Kent, Essex and Sussex. The Welsh can rule themselves, no-one tell the Cornish and we'll see how long it takes for them to twig.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Scotland, Ireland and Northumbria will then unite into a viking army and pillage London - sign me up.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"no-one tell the Cornish and we'll see how long it takes for them to twig."

I think you'll find they twig pretty damn smartish and have toll gates up ready for the summer season.

1. Tom 38

I think you'll find they twig pretty damn smartish and have toll gates up ready for the summer season.

I think you'll find they are much smarter than that already - you can get in to Cornwall for free, but to leave you must pay to get back across the Tamar

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Facepalm

The Scots might not be too happy when we Northumbrians take back our historically owned lands all the way up to the Firth of Forth. They'll have to move their capital to Glasgow!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northumbria

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hah!

Domain in .london

Management offices in Ireland, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Jersey and Caymans.

Taxes nowhere.

1. Rukario

Re: Hah!

apple.london

amazon.london

google.london

starbucks.london

5. davenewman

Which London?

See how many register from London, Ontario and all the other Londons.

1. Natalie Gritpants

Re: Which London?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_(disambiguation) has 13 other Londons

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't wait

to register f*ck.london

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't wait

I'm not sure you're allowed to have an asterix symbol in domain names... you'll have to think of another name.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

to add it to my spam filter

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Can't wait to add it to my spam filter

You mean you're *not* already blocking TLDs longer than 3 letters?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

fatcat.london

nomdom.london

corruption.london

fix-your-rate.london

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Companies that want to ensure you know they're in London, or perhaps want to go for regionally translated dialects on their websites

Did you mean to say Polish?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's no exact figures for the number of Polish nationals in London. However, it must be a relatively small number compared to other immigrant communities, as the 2011 census only found 12% of the London populace to be classified as white and non-British. Some Polish immigrants may have taken British nationality, and are therefore included in the white British group (almost 45% of the London populace), but based on the citizenship of the people I know of non-British birth it's unlikely to be a significant number. My wife for example came here almost twenty years ago, but is still not a British citizen.

8. btrower

For me, a good sign

Something like this just hastens the collapse of the existing Domain Name System -- at least the notion that a TLD has much significance.

The existing DNS needs to be replaced with one that fixes the many deficiencies of the current one. Prime among those is the notion that some central agency decides who gets what name and whether or not the network is secure by design.

I am really not a rebel, but things are so messed up that nearly everything has to be torn down and rebuilt.

1. HMB

Re: For me, a good sign

I rather like the idea that every country (yes including you America) get's it's own TLD and then decides how it wants to do things after that.

Placenames as TLDs are going to work real well right up until someone realises that there's a Birmingham in Alabama as well as England. There's a Sutton in Surrey and one in the West Midlands. All of a sudden that meaning behind the TLD becomes a bit more vague.

1. Tom 38

There's a Sutton in Surrey and one in the West Midlands.

and Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire and Suffolk and Devon and Kent and Leicestershire and Hampshire and Lincolnshire and Norfolk and Nottinghamshire and Somerset and Oxfordshire and West Sussex and Wiltshire and Yorkshire and Dorset and Essex and Derbyshire and Cheshire and Lancashire ...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

London Ontario etc...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

Paris, Texas.

The Cars That Ate....oh,wait!

Icon, because she's been so underused in the commentardfest.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The logical next step is to sell personal name domains - after all, it is important that our feudal overlords have something worthwhile to do with all their money.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely it should be Londonistan?

11. Tony Green

More likely...

...They're scared someone else will grab theirName.london so they need to get it first.

Not necessarily because they actually WANT it.

1. Stuart 22

Re: More likely...

Nope.

OK so in a millennium not to far distant we always registered the com/net/org.uk/co.uk variants for safety for ourselves and our clients.

Then came biz/ws/mobi ... and we all decided to call it a day. Now we only bother with com/co.uk. The more there are the greater incentive not to defensibly register. So great, a London business that missed out on a co.uk can get its name in lights. but that's it. The domain party is over.

12. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Thumb Down

If they are so stupid to not understand the hierarchial system.....

..... just as well they aren't running the postal service!

Why couldn't Icann tell .london to sod off and pester nominet for london.uk (who I would hope would say no - maybe offering london.city.uk etc.)

Of course, it's money. A total conflict of interest.

I want my new postal address to be "jamie". That's it - I want that to be routable globally

And before someone says that 'one word addresses' could be sent to a particular place to deal with these new personalised addresses, I'd like to add that millions have signed up to the scheme, and more are to follow.

And all the worlds post has to be sorted with no regional distinction.

I may post a letter to my next door neighbour, and it may be delivered via America.

fter a while, we'd soon be wishing that there was some hierarchical system instead..

---

Another thing, web addresses become less noticable. You can put on your logo or advert "mysite.com" without needing to clarify further...

Remenber when gmtv got the domain gm.tv ? How many people, on seeing gm.tv at the bottom of the screen knew it was a web address?

It's about time the major ISPs got together and announced that they'd block these new stupid tlds. Heck, all it would take is for google to refuse to index them and a few major isps refusing to resolve them!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If they are so stupid to not understand the hierarchial system.....

"Why couldn't Icann tell .london to sod off and pester nominet for london.uk (who I would hope would say no - maybe offering london.city.uk etc.)"

Because this sort of shit was ICANN's idea in the first place. Yes, that does mean that the DNS is being run by people with no interest in running it properly.

2. Gareth Holt

Re: If they are so stupid to not understand the hierarchial system.....

Google have applied for about 80 of their own new gLTDs, so are unlikely not to index them

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like