back to article Acer's new Haswell all-flash Chromebooks sip power for less than $200

As the holiday shopping season looms, Acer is once again looking to undercut the budget Chromebook market with a new low-end model that retails for $199. This isn't the first time Acer has lowballed Google's other Chromebook partners on price. Last Christmas it rolled out the 11-inch C710, the first Chromebook to break the $ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

You are not getting upscale regardless of what you want

You are not getting much upscale.

The ChromeBook general spec is controlled by Google so it is nailed down to run ChromeOS. Any chromebook you pick on the market will have at least 1366x768 with a decent screen (no 1024x600 market cripplware idiocies from the netbook age), 2 USB ports and at least one of them being v3, SD card slot capable of accepting high capacity cards, 16GB SSD and 2G RAM. Accer may be straying a bit to raise the spec to 4GB but that is as far as its "liberty" will go. Not any further until mothersip says so and mothersip will not say so because this means that you will keep your data locally instead of giving it to Google to monetize (by all means necessary).

In any case - if you need a Debia/Ubuntu in-flight typewriter that lasts across the transatlantic on one charge (sans takeoff, landing and meal times) any chromebook fits the bill. You can shrink the original ChromeOS without wiping it completely to 6GB leaving 10GB or so for an adult OS. Linux, xfce4 and libreoffice take a G more leaving you wih 9G for your mail and documents. For most people that is more than enough.

1. Jason Hindle

Re: You are not getting upscale regardless of what you want

To be fair to Google, even without an adult OS you should still be able to use it as an in flight typewriter, since the apps do allow offline editing. The Google office apps are more than good enough, for most users.

1. Fihart

I suspect that by Upscale, the author meant (at least) something with a better looking finish.

Thankfully, Acer's days of laptops painted in silver where that wore, exposing black plastic visible, are behind them. In fact, the Packard Bell (a.k.a Acer) I have presently seems as solid as a similar Sony model. The Sony looks considerably cooler, though, and I'm sure a other brands will achieve a similar upscale on their Chromebooks.

Must say, tempted by the price and the option to convert it to Linux as the Google walled garden is no more inviting than Apple's.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The 720 is much faster than the 710, and performs better than all the other Chromebooks apart from the Pixel. It stays fast even when you have lots of tabs open.

Perhaps the author could check this.

3. Jim 59

Chromebook

Is this the Linux Desktop at last! Nooooooooo!

2. RonWheeler

Chromebooks keep getting better

The only thing making me waver is Google's tendency to take the axe to products or change T+Cs at short notice leaving users in the lurch. If linux is a possible plan-B parachute in case of Google changeomania I might risk it as a replacement for my elderly netbook..

3. gnufrontier

Overpriced

I can get a used i5 laptop for $ 250.00 on Craig's list. Chromebooks and their ilk are trojan horses for the data gathering behemoths of the cloud.

Security used to be the tradeoff for liberty, now it's convenience.

Chromebooks, phones, glasses, watches ... what's next - wifi tatoos ?

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Overpriced

Chromebooks, phones, glasses, watches ... what's next - wifi tatoos ?

Haven't you heard? Wifi tattoos are so last week (give or take a day or two).

2. Kenneth3

Re: Overpriced

It's funny that you mentioned tattoos. Google is trying to push wearable tattoos now for logging in and who knows what else. nty for me, but I'm sure some Google fan is going to get one.

4. Mehman

Acer ripping off UK

Hi,

If there is ever a UK review of this chromebook can the author please query the fact that the UK version priced at £199.99 only comes with 2GB RAM. Acer UK have been asked for clarification about upgrade or config options, so far no response.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Chromebook/When-will-the-Acer-C720-Chromebook-be-available-in-the-United/td-p/139593

Google exchange rate $249 to £ = £154.55

Google exchange rate £200 to $ = $322.22

Sneaky whatnots!

1. saif

Re: Acer ripping off UK

The pricing is really not related to the cost of manufacture, distance for transportation, or even VAT, but the price the potential customer is likely to be able to pay.

The price of the 4GB c720 on Amazon.jp is 39,800 yen or £246 or $397 closer to the UK price, though closer to the manufacturer

1. Mehman

What's annoying me is there is no 4GB c720 available in the UK, only the 2GB version.

2. Piro Silver badge
      Thumb Down

$249 is £154.50 now, but whatever, remember that US prices are always without sales taxes, and ours are always quoted with VAT on top.

154.50 + 20% = 185.40.

You're "getting fucked out of" £14.60 at most. Not a big deal. Blame the government.

1. Barry Rueger

Right Wing Logic

Ah, the right wing logic always amazes me.

The item in question costs £14+ more in the UK than in the US even after VAT has been added to the $US retail price. (£199 - £185).

Right wing droid declares "You're "getting fucked out of" £14.60 at most. Not a big deal. Blame the government.".

Hate to burst your bubble, but that extra £14 is being grabbed by the capitalist whores at Acer, not by the government. But hey, what's a little 9% premium if it keeps Free Enterprise humming along....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not so much the case, these days

There is still a little skimming going on, but prices these days are closer to US purchase price, plus cost of doing business in Blighty (import duty, taxes on this and that, and so on). There are still piss takers, and it is incumbent on we the consumers to call them out,

5. Mikel
    Thumb Up

An amazing deal

I will probably put one of these under the tree for me. Am not sure about ChromeOS but in the worst case I can make it a Linux laptop with Haswell, SSD and 8 hours of battery life. That's a heck of a backstop to the downside risk: I have to take something I wanted anyway. Will give ChromeOS a try. If I like it I can boot my Linux from a USB and leave the thing as it is, and have both.

Do you remember when we used to talk dreamily about the day in the far-off future when laptops would cost less than a thousand dollars?

6. AdamCB

Chromebooks are meant for users that spend most of their time in a browser and want a device that starts up fast and is easy to use. That's a nice sized market.

If you're considering Chromebooks but also need access to Windows applications you can look at solutions like, Ericom AccessNow an HTML5 RDP client that enables Chromebook users to securely connect to any RDP host, including Terminal Server and VDI virtual desktops, and run their applications and desktops in a browser.

AccessNow does not require any client to be installed on the Chromebook, as you only need the HTML5-compatible browser.

For an online, interactive demo, open your Chrome browser and visit:

http://www.ericom.com/demo_AccessNow.asp?URL_ID=708

Please note that I work for Ericom

7. Kenneth3

Even at that price

I don't see any value in owning a Chromebook. It just doesn't make any sense to purchase one.

1. Rebajas

Re: Even at that price

Okay, thanks for letting us know.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Prof-Ken

Tiddly SSD

Can I rip out that tiny SSD & stick in a decent sized one? I want to make it a proper Linux machine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like