back to article Om-nom-nom-nom! Google's Cookie Monster DEVOURS MORE DRIVES

Google is exporting its data import service beyond US borders, giving sysadmins an easier way to upload large amounts of information into the company's infrastructure cloud. Announced today, the hard-disk-slurping service will now operate out of centers in Switzerland, Japan, and India. With the launch, Google has taken a lead …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Gray 1
    Go

Correctly done!

Now that is the correct way to use a monitor!

Minor niggle: white text on a black background (gee, like this El Reg page!) is too hard on they eyes for long-term use. Go with something like a tan background.

1. Wize

Re: Correctly done!

I liked the old black and orange plasma displays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Platovterm1981.jpg

It does appear to be the standard to have black text on white background. All harks back to that rarely seen item called a book (our younger viewers may not be families with the concept of bound paper with words printed on them.)

Perhaps you could fiddle with your brightness/contrast to get it a little less harsh.

Or find a utility for your device of choice to invert the screen to white on black.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Correctly done!

"white text on a black background (gee, like this El Reg page!)"

Huh?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oi Google..

1997 just called and asked for their trackball back!

Its been a long time since I saw one of them, brilliant :)

1. David 66

Re: Oi Google..

I have the same trackball, only a year or two old shirley? And that's the Antec-1200 case, I think. 12 bays.. I have the 900 with 9 bays, Most aweseome case for air cooling.

2. Bigbird3141

I bought one (my fourth) last month - far less RSI-inducing than a mouse

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I know they are still available - I just have not seen somebody use one for about 10-12 years :) and thats not a dig, I loved my track ball.

1. Paul Webb

Some people are even still lusting after the old Logitech Trackman Marble FX (to go with their Model-M) although not, I suspect, at these prices:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Logitech-904257-0403-TrackMan-Marble-FX-Trackball-/171047795507?pt=Mice&hash=item27d33e3b33

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

I'd still be using mine if the electronics hadn't gone phut. It does amaze me that Logitech haven't reintroduced it.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. David Pollard

Best thing Microsoft ever did was their trackball. Then they stopped making them. I'm going to have to fit PTFE shims or something to mine to compensate for wear and keep it going a few more years.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I'm going to have to fit PTFE shims or something to mine to compensate for wear and keep it going a few more years."

Nothing you could use in the big pile of metal artificial hip joints that the NHS is no longer allowed to use? Or working the other way, could you help the quacks fit shims into the unlucky recipients of said metal hips?

4. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Data export?

Do they also allow you to export all your data on to HDDs to move to another provider if needed?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

at your own risk

"The Disk Import capability costs $80 per disk..."

I presume that means that Google pay <i>you</i> $80 per disk of your data that they will use to profile you, bombard you with adverts of 'related' products, occasionally lose the password files and share with the security agencies.

6. Wize

Isn't the name too close to the character in Cut the Rope? Bigger companies have sued little companies for names less similar.

7. Robert Ramsay
    Coat

OmNomNom

This means that the operating manual is the dread OmNomNomicron.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"This probably diabetic creature"

Great article, but describing the Cookie Monster as "this probably diabetic creature" is pretty offensive to people living with diabetes - a condition which has nothing to do with eating too much sugar and is only over-eating-related (in some cases) when talking about Type 2 diabetes.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: "This probably diabetic creature"

Most diabetics that I've met have a sense of humour

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I thought the joke was you'd become diabetic if you ate nothing but cookies at the rate of the cookie monster. Not that other diabetics do.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

...The fact that you think that you become diabetic by eating loads of cookies (or any other sweet stuff for that matter) is exactly the myth I'm talking about and which The Register is helping to perpetuate.

People do not "get" diabetes by eating loads of sweets. That's the fact of it. If you want more info about how you develop diabetes (both Type 2 or the much less common Type 1), go here: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/What-is-diabetes/

Oh, and to the person saying "most diabetics I know have a sense of humour", well, I'm diabetic (Type 1, diagnosed at age 3) and have laughed at plenty of jokes but when kids in schools are bullied because of myths such as this one I don't laugh as much to be honest! Would you be laughing so much if we were talking about another chronic condition which will kill you without medication (Type 1 diabetes) or lifestyle change (Type 2 diabetes) like AIDS, cystic fibrosis or cancer? Probably not..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like