back to article We've found it – the ULTIMATE man-cave accessory

A shed or workshop is an intensely private place where the normal rules of domesticity do not apply. There's no need for flowers, candles or frippery. Just solid, practical kit that offers a place for everything so you can keep everything in its place. Those rules do not, however, mean that your man-cave has to be devoid of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Duncan Macdonald

HDMI switch

As the setup includes a DVD player, there will be a HDMI connection between the DVD and the TV. Put a HDMI switch in this lead and you will have a video input. (HDMI switches can be had for under £7 on ebay.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Missing the point??

It's a tool chest without much room to actually store tools......................

2. wowfood

The ultimate recliner

I know of, but do not know the name of, a recliner of ultimate proporitions. Built in speakers, fridge, massage, storage section, foot rest, believe it had a microwave also. Probably lazy-boy or something.

1. Gordon 10
      Trollface

Re: The ultimate recliner

A recliner? I bet you call your man cave a rumpus room or similar. Real men shiver in their sheds with only the faint warmth of a green house heater.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

A heater, you wuss! Fingerless gloves and a flask of tea is you're only warmth...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Tea... pffft Algerian Sherry more like

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Greenhouse heater ? That's luxury.

1. tony2heads
          Happy

Re: greenhouse heater

I used to dream about a heater.

Château de Chasselas anybody?

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: greenhouse heater

I dream about *needing* a heater as I wrench away in 105F temps in the Florida summertime! As I write this, it has yet to drop to 60F at night. OTOH it makes for great motorcycle riding, which is why I put up with it.

Seriously though, that fridge/monitor/DVD would not survive the abuse my Craftsman rolling box has taken for the past 15 years. There's not a square corner left on it, but it still holds tools, the drawers still work on steel bearings, and it still rolls where I need it to go.

3. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

Careful. Everything will rust from the slight warmth and ready supply of water vapour from the burn fuel.

2. Tom 7

A recliner is a bit sissy. I have seen one of those circus gymbal wheel thingies modified as a gaming console where it rotated according to the game players supposed motion.

Looked fun but it smelt horribly of vomit.

3. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Angel

$AUD lots...

Isn't that like £50 of real money? :D

Nice concept, maybe i will wait for the Snap-on version, then might upgrade my Snap-on box.

1. Cliff

Re: $AUD lots...

Flight case version - you can make a ruggedized touring-safe one for that price, but with the bonuses of a laptop desk area, bigger storage drawers, and lockable and safe to freight your goodies all over the world! The one they're selling looks pretty, but a little fragile by comparison!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recycle!

Nah! Find fish boxes washed up on the shore then strew them around the byre and fill with assorted crap/tools.

Like this one:

http://www.plastor.co.uk/content/ref-81641010-fish-box-50-kg-890-x-560-x-235mm

At least they won't fall over like the top-heavy thing in the article.

1. hopkinse

Re: Recycle!

That fish box looks a bit posh! When I were a kid in the 70's, I remember bits of old wooden fish boxes being used to repair furniture and make impromptu shelving. If you were lucky, they only smelled faintly of shellfish. Those were they days :-)

5. Moffy

That's it..

Project for the Christmas break. Goodbye Halford's toolchest, hello Halford's portable man cave audio/gizmo accessory trolley

6. Elmer Phud

Shed?

I don't have a garage but do have a room that is my tool shed, workshop, store, bike shed etc.

The only thing it doesn't have when compared to the trolley is a fridge.

1. Andy Roid McUser

Re: Shed?

You've got to have a fridge in your shed. It's the law dammit.

1. Tom 7

A fridge???

What the hell for? Real ale never needs to be cold and white wine is for the ladies who can never enter. And cider should be kept in barrels sufficiently large to keep the cold of winter in throughout the summer.

So that leaves crisps. Or lager if you have a shooting range?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Vulture South spotted one in the wild for $AUD2,999.

At £1,740 this is only going to be bought by wealthy wannabe shed-dwellers trying to buy their way into the lifestyle.

Real man-cavemen would never buy a box for tools to go into when they can spend the money on the tools themselves. At that price you are talking proper bench power tools or kitting the shed out with air.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going spend four hours sanding something whilst daydreaming about owning a lathe. I may also be half listening to a paint covered 1980's FM radio.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Toolboxes

Real men know that good tool storage is worth as much as the tools. If it's not on a tool board it's in a good tool chest.

Of course you'd know that a Snap-On cab is probably a fair chunk more from looking at the tool catalogues you have next to the bog, and yet you'll still be wondering if you can justify the roll cab and a top box, and an end cab...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Toolboxes

And don't forget any proper toolboard should have the outline of the relevant tool painted where it is supposed to be hung.

8. bleh_meh

Meh....

I'm too busy working in my shed to spend time watching the TV...

Much prefer my AM radio blasting away

@Duncan Macdonald: The DVD is just the car radio deck with a composite output feeding the TV, so I doubt that there is even a HDMI input on the sub-$200 display supplied.

.... And I've seen one of these in the Big Green* hardware stores discounted to $2500, there was another model from the same manufacturer with just a cd/tape deck and speakers being flogged for $800

*The big green hardware stores will be very familiar to Aussies who live anywhere close to a metropolitan area, I just don't want them to get free publicity on ElReg.

9. Haku
    Happy

Somewhere comfy to browse the web from

http://www.finecomposition.com/wp-content/uploads/Multimedia-Chair.jpg

but if you can't afford such an extravagant piece of furniture there's always this:

http://media.techeblog.com/images/lazy_geek.jpg

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Somewhere comfy to browse the web from

"http://media.techeblog.com/images/lazy_geek.jpg"

Good lord - it's Oculus Prime!

10. jonathanb Silver badge

Very expensive for what it is

22" TV - £130 - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/small-screen-tvs-up-to-32/logik-l22fed13-22-led-tv-with-built-in-dvd-player-20374552-pdt.html

Mini fridge - £100 - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/refrigeration/wine-cooling-mini-refrigeration/husky-el202-budweiser-mini-fridge-red-13828284-pdt.html

Home cinema system - £110 http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/dvd-blu-ray-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems/sony-davtz140-cek-5-1-dvd-home-cinema-system-12716783-pdt.html

Then you just need to find some sort of drawer unit, £200 at most.

You don't have to get the ones I linked to from Currys. Other suppliers exist and some of them are cheaper. But still you are looking at a maximum of £540.

1. Moffy

Re: Very expensive for what it is

If you timed it right, you'd probably get the lot from Aldi for under £300

11. sawatts

huh?

So I can have a few things that I already have, but smaller and in a more inconvenient form?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How retro!

13. Azzy

Pfft!

What the hell kind of self-respecting workshop/shed user would put a tool chest blinged out in chrome like the wife's kitchen into their workshop?!

Add in the tiny television (not even a proper display that could take computer input, so you could, say, display resources relevant to whatever you're building), a stereo system taking up a perfectly good drawer, and a miniscule fridge ALSO taking up perfectly good drawer space?

The price is about right for a set of really nice drawers about that size (the kind you can pull all the way out and stand on), but based on the attention paid to stupid things on this unit, I'll wager these aren't really nice drawers, but simply average ones.

14. alexmcm
    Pint

The Homer

Why not add a 4 stove bbq beside the work surface, another fridge compartment to store a keg of beer, and few optics on top, a gas canister at the side, a few rechargeable battery packs, and wifi extender, some solar panels on the lid to charge the batteries, 3 years subscription to Foxtel Go, and wifi home media center.

I'd love to see a comic relief episode of Dragons Den where somebody turned up with something like that, and just presented it with a straight face and called it The Homer.

This topic is closed for new posts.