back to article Beijing's trainware busted by bustling commuter bunches

The German manufacturer of Beijing subway’s ticket barriers has been forced to fly out engineers to the Chinese capital to deal with problems caused by impatient commuters. An unnamed manager with the firm told the South China Morning Post that while European commuters wait for the person in front to pass through before …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought the real problem was seeing where you were going through the thick smog?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear China,

Slow the fuck down, and tidy the fuck up

1. Stevie

Re: Dear China,

You don't hear so many American politicos pining for the Chinese Way of late.

Can't imagine why...

3. Nifty Silver badge

Fight in the toughest markets first

As the chairman of Chinese manufacturer Haier recently said on a rather good episode of Peter Day's "In Business", design & sell to the hardest and most demanding markets first - eg sell home appliances in Germany & Japan. Then you might get the rest right.

Seems the West needs to learn something from him.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio/worldbiz/worldbiz_20131109-0050a.mp3

and

http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/25/haier-zhang-ruimin-china-leadership-ruimin.html

4. Defrost

In Shanghai you actually see people queueing whilst waiting from the train, from time to time. It last like 2 secs after the doors open though. Still, I believe it's a step forward for them. In a couple of decades there will be no more wars (I saw a kid pushing hard and almost jump over two old men trying to enter a train) anymore entering a train.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EZ Tag!

They should just hand out badges that are radio frequency identities. That way, commuters can simply walk through the detectors as they board the trains.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: EZ Tag!

So how does it detect those that haven't paid?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"fare-collection equipment"

Having ridden the Beijing transit for a while, I can explain that.

It's simple: the tickets are bought separately, but the cost of the trip is debited from them at the exit, not when entering.

A single way ticket will be physically collected there.

A regular pass will contain an amount of yuan, and the proper amount will be debited when exiting, depending on the trip (typically, the airport line is more expensive).

So it's not confusing, it pretty much describe what they are.

7. Timo
    Facepalm

Similar thing just happened in Chicago

The Chicago Transit Authority is in the throes of its changeover to a farecard type system. Only it isn't working out very well. I heard on the TV this morning that the system went belly-up yesterday, and 50,000 riders were given free access during rush hour.

This topic is closed for new posts.