back to article Makerbot vows to plonk a 3D printer in every one of Uncle Sam's schools

Makerbot, one of the most visible companies behind 3D printing, has kicked off a new program that aims to get one of its mini-manufacturies in every school in America. "As a former teacher, I believe strongly in creating a new model for innovation. A MakerBot is a manufacturing education in a box," gushed Makerbot CEO Bre …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 35

change the whole paradigm

Warning! Bull shit alert! Warning!

2. JP19

"Instead of waiting for someone to create a product for you, you can create your own"

When I was at school we had wood and metalwork shops and lessons and we did create things using materials and techniques which were much more relevant to real world manufacturing then than 3D printing is now.

I still have and use a pipe wrench I made from steel 40 years ago.

Just more 3D printing is the future bullshit. Only real value I can see is in supporting the teaching of 3D CAD although having to make what you designed on a CNC mill would be much more informative.

1. TheFatMan

Re: "Instead of waiting for someone to create a product for you, you can create your own"

Back when I was a caveman we made things out of stone.

I still have a wheel I invented - I knew when those crazy kids started using "Metal" it would be the end

1. frank ly

@TheFatMan Re: "Instead of waiting for someone to create a product for you .....

I can understand your thinking behind that easy put down, but I'm sure he's right. If you consider how this will probably be used by children and teachers, it will be like the teaching of 'computing' using Word and Excel to teach children 'how computers work'. You don't teach someone how a car works by showing them how to drive it around a quiet urban backstreet.

2. Gordon 10
      FAIL

Re: "Instead of waiting for someone to create a product for you, you can create your own"

Your point is?I created one of those teethed musical blocks that you scrape a stick over in music lessons and a metal fireplace shovel - neither of which I now possess.

I welcome anything that allows kids to more creative - period. It's not about what you create - its about the opportunities to spark their imagination.

1. Tom 35

"its about the opportunities to spark their imagination."

The problem is that if they only have one in a school, there are not going to be a lot of opportunities to go round. It takes hours to pint one item so what percentage of the students get to have a go.

When I was in School we had one trampoline*. Half the class waited around for their 2 minute turn, the rest of us gave up and did something else (horizontal bar in my case).

* until "hay watch me do a double back flip dismount"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Genius

So he's getting individuals and other companies to buy his products and put them in schools ... And he's billing it as 'thinking of the children'

Tip o the hat to Mr Pettis.

1. DropBear
      Flame

Re: Genius

...a product, let's not forget, that comes at a price out of which somewhere between two and four generic but certainly equally capable other 3D printers can be had. Not to mention that a fair bit of the kinds of plastic used by 3D printers can be ground up, re-melted and extruded as new filament for the printer (there even was a Kickstarter project a while ago for just such a machine): I wonder how many of those Makerbot plans to deploy, considering I'm pretty sure a rather high percentage of the stuff they print would become, ummm, "redundant" rather soon? Awww, but that's not quite as lucrative, innit...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wheeee

zip guns all 'round....

5. Elmer Phud

Material world

Who will be paying for all the materials required to feed the printer?

Presumably not those being 'generous' with the printer.

6. Sly

And my experience with Macs in school drove me to IBM PCs

Yeah, it'll work for turning the kids to them IFF (if and only if) they work without issues. All the Macs in the schools I attended had no end of issues and would crash at the drop of a hat if things were not done in JUST the right order. They did have Lunatic Fringe in AfterDark that wasn't available on the PC version that was full of awesomesauce, but other than that, rather a turn off working on that crap at school.

7. Sheep!

Advertising your product by helping out cash-strapped schools (and positioning yourself in the market with those schools, parents and future customers) is obviously of great benefit to company doing it, along with the risk, as someone pointed out above that they could simply get interested in the product and then buy the cheaper alternative (android devices still eclipse ipad sales even though they are pushed out to schools, altruistically of course). But the bottom line is that this still benefits the kids and the schools and that can only be a good thing. As long as McDonalds don't start pushing out school meals, altruistically of course.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like