back to article Is Australia backing away from 'fair use' proposals?

As the Australian Law Reform Commission puts the final polish on its year-long inquiry into Australia's copyright law, the country's Attorney-General has upended the ice bucket over the idea of any radical reform. The long-running inquiry had raised hopes that at least some reforms would be adopted, such as the creation of a “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MrDamage Silver badge

In other news

George Brandis's bank balance has increased dramatically thanks to a donation from the MPAA.

2. Winkypop Silver badge

I'm suprised he has the time

Isn't he always off claiming MPs expenses at weddings and stuff?

The guy is a shonk.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm suprised he has the time

I think they all do weddings. Brandis's favorite entitlement appears to be taxpayer funded personal libraries.

3. tkioz

Typical. It seems like the Content Mafia is intent on shooting themselves in the foot. They fail to see that a fair copyright regime, not the current monster that is in place, will help them more than hurt them, and that by clinging to the idea of expanding at all costs they are simply making more and more enemies. The more they tighten their grip the more people will rebel.

1. Thorne

The problem is Big Media doesn't understand this new fangled interwebs thingy. Lawyers and political bribes are much easier to understand.....

4. John Tserkezis

Fair use always has strings attached.

And said strings are getting shorter and shorter.

It just ain't "fair" anymore.

5. Tim99 Silver badge
    Alert

It's payback time?

It might be said, by cynical observers, that this is one of the first of the favours that the LNP owes to Rupert Murdock's 21st Century Fox and News Corp businesses for the very favourable pre-election coverage?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brandis is a F**kW*t

He has not had anything intelligent or reasonable to say since the conservatives came to power here. I had not heard anything he said previously so can not comment.... They will probably bring back DVD region enforcement here...Luckily I download all my movies via multiple regions with help of torrents..... cant really choose who my peers are.... When will the world tell the american motion picture and music industry to go screw itself.... I would put them in the same league as patent trolls ..... they are just greedy..... what evidence have they ever provided that their huge profits are actually hurting..... On the other hand there is evidence that their campaigns are hurting independent film makers and musicians .....

We do we have such a bad government voted in here who basically just panders to big business at the obvious expense of people rights...... disillusioned with democracy

1. Rastus

Re: Brandis is a F**kW*t

I agreed with you at first, but after reading a bit more into your post, I figured it was just another political rant. Funny how much noise the left make (empty vessels etc).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Brandis is a F**kW*t

I am not of the left sir/madam. I am an anarchist. I don't believe in government :P .... no government has the right to take my arms or legs away from me......Seriously though the point is things have changed since the nineteen fifties and so has the ability to copy stuff which is covered by very aging copyright legislation. We certainly do not need a backward thinking government that panders to RIAA and MPAA ridiculous notions that we are all criminals just because we download a few movies. Did prohibition work in the US because to me they just look like profiteers who want to take it all. The sad part of their actions is that it actually hurts the diversity of what is available to watch or listen. Copyright as it is will never overcome the current issues without a total rethink. Part of that is recognising that there need for more liberal personal use of media. .... (liberal in the previous sentence does not refer to the current tory (right wing facsist ) gov ).

7. RobHib

What else would you expect?

The Oz government's changed. It's right wing, pro big business and pro the status quo.

The MPAA et al now have their man in place.

...But don't worry, it's only pipsqueak Australia, the only people it'll inconvenience are too stupid to notice they've been done over yet again.

1. Thorne
      Pirate

Re: What else would you expect?

I'm not inconvenienced me hearties.......

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like