back to article EMC's XtremIO array: Everything we know about new all-flash box

Mega-vendor EMC is going to launch its XtremIO all-flash array with general availability on 14 November. It has been on limited or directed availability for a few months and there's a fair amount of information coming out about it. Here’s what we know so far. The array is based on acquired XtremIO technology and features: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The year of VDI?

VDI. Yes, VDI. Really, VDI.

This is the year of VDI again!

1. Nate Amsden

Re: The year of VDI?

Also the year of linux on the desktop.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Extra rack space required appears to be the dual Infiniband switches necessary for this to scale-out (if you can call 4 nodes "scale out"). Furthermore XtremIO requires UPS systems from EMC since a power-outage and controller failure simultaneously can cause complete data loss.

3. cageordie

Amazing - quarter of the speed of a Violin Steinway then?

Soooo.... their big announcement is a flash array that is quarter the speed of a Violin Memory Steinway array and is made of bog standard and not all that reliable SSDs rather than their own technology? And it isn't even all that big? I'm sure I've seen 32TB Steinways at some show or other. Doesn't sound all that extreme, or am I missing something?

1. Andrew H

Re: Amazing - quarter of the speed of a Violin Steinway then?

Please note I am biased I work for Violin Memory.

Currently the largest Violin 6000 Series array is the 6264 thats 64 TiB Raw or 70TB if you are in marketing.

Unsurprisingly some of our more legacy competitors refuse to admit that this device exists (it does) or that customers are using them (they are).

I guess that would probably be because after spares and formatting we end up with 41 TiB available in 3U rather than 28 TB in 22U or whatever it is.

Andrew

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"double-party data protection"

Every day is a partay at EMC! Woo!

:-|

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This product will do well because it is EMC

This is a long awaited announcement, on a very hyped product. The scale out architecture is nice, but not that different from some competitors, such as the former Whiptail (now Cisco), or Pure Storage products.

Performance is pretty much middle of the pack, as are the data protection features. Additionally, there is a rack space and power penalty for this architecture compared to some alternatives (Nimbus, Violin, etc.).

This is by no means industry leading, but it is a solid product from a solid company. Should do well if they don't completely over price it, but then again this is EMC so we'll see.

This topic is closed for new posts.