back to article SHIVER ME TIMBERS, it’s Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag

A little bit of colour goes a long way in Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag. It's a game that takes the series’ parkour-heavy gameplay away from the bleak, ice-covered setting of the American plain, and drops it into the steamy, sunny Caribbean. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag Arcade fire The golden age of pirating, circa 1715 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. auburnman

Loving it for all it's flaws

The level of freedom is fantastic, I've had it for a while now and the only reason I touch the main story is if I need to to get an upgrade. The assassin management of prior games (where you send them around the world on stabby missions) is replaced by fleet management missions (Battling to open trade routes and ship goods up and down and across the continent(s).)

My biggest gripe with this is that you can't play this aspect of the SINGLE PLAYER game without logging into Ubisoft's servers, and if I'd known that before purchase I might not have bought it on principle.

1. Ian Yates

Re: Loving it for all it's flaws

The connection required thing was definitely true of 3, and I'm pretty sure of 2. It's the reason I won't buy 4 until they remove it.

For no apparent reason on 3 (and Arkham City and Arkham Origins), I've occasionally been informed that I've lost connection to their servers and lose all progress beyond the last checkpoint, which can sometimes be a long time ago or just before a difficult fight, etc.

For Arkham City (with the dreaded Windows Live integration), it actually completely corrupted my save, so I stopped playing.

Buying the game and getting a cracked copy is definitely easier than living with their failed attempts at DRM.

2. strangefish
    Headmaster

probable pointless pedantry

sharks don't have any bones, only cartilage.

3. TheWeenie

The game is really very pretty (PS3 version) and once you get used to the controls it's quite good fun in a sort of kill-everything-that-moves-and-nick-their-money way. A bit like a night out in Croydon. The beautiful scenery is just what you need on a cold, dark Autumn night too. Also, it has some proper British accents for once. Fantastic!

On the downside, it is a little formulaic. Each mission feels kinda like the last. I only paid about £35 for it from Amazon so worth it if you've got some time to kill. I know I'll be going back to Dishonored after a few more hours though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have an upvote for the Croydon comment.

4. dogged

Review issue -

AC1 was published in 2007, Arkham Asylum 2009. In AC1, combat was often criticized for being a matter of waiting and countering.

I'll grant you the slomo on the final kill but AC's combat predates AAs by two years. Your plagiarism allegation is misplaced.

1. dogged

Downvoters - reasons for downvote or you're a wanker.

1. dogged

Two wankers so far (and counting?)

Look it's very simple, you dim pricks. This is not a popularity contest. If my facts are wrong, downvote me and say so. If they are not but you're downvoting because "batman is teh gratist and must hav bin furst" then a) you're retarded and b) fucking say so.

My facts, however, are right. Deal with it.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

Blackadder II reference.

And a quite entertaining game as well (it looks like).

But step lively.

You don't want a lick of the 'cat.

6. KroSha

Hoping it's better than AC3

All 3 episodes of Ezio's storyline were great; Connor's was noticeably worse. It would seem from the current crop of reviews that they've kept the best of AC3, the sea battles, and dropped the rampant collection-fest that plagued Revelations and AC3.

Still, I won't be buying this until the price drops. AC3 was too much of a disappointment to splash out that kind of cash.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like