back to article Samsung debuts its spanking new Tizen OS-for-mobes .... in a camera

While lawyers pettifog their patent arguments in the Apple-Samsung World Series, the South Korean has been quietly recruiting partners and developers to Tizen, and has launched its first Tizen-based product – a camera, not a phone. While the South Korean company is acting as evangelist-in-chief for the Tizen operating system, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Schultz

Samsung-controlled?

Tizen increasingly seems to be a Samsung driven development, so is that their plan B just in case Android moves in an unexpected direction? So far, only dedicated efforts by a single company were successful in the OS market (Windows, iOS, Android, maybe even count Symbian), so will Samsung slowly take it over?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Samsung-controlled?

@Schultz

Yes - precisely that. Tizen has been hanging around in development "just in case" google do something that ruins android, make it more expensive (to samsung) or make it too beneficial to google.

Always have something in your back pocket just in case the people you rely on for an OS do something monumentally stupid or monumentally clever (depending on which of the companies POV you take)

1. Sealand

Imagine yourself in Samsung's position.

You're the market leader, but your succes is based on an OS which is built and controlled by someone else, and that someone else is focusing on his own revenue rather than yours. That focus may eventually result in decisions that do not align with the direction of your business - or downright harm you.

What would you do - long term? Build your own OS? I sure as heck would. In the world of business, strategy and revenue decides who your friends are, and the landscape can change overnight.

1. Richard Plinston

> You're the market leader, but your succes is based on an OS which is built and controlled by someone else, and that someone else is focusing on his own revenue rather than yours. That focus may eventually result in decisions that do not align with the direction of your business - or downright harm you.

I thought you were talking about Nokia until I reread the first paragraph.

2. Jordan Davenport

"the smallest version can fit in 256 KB of RAM"

Really?

1. Syren Baran

Re: "the smallest version can fit in 256 KB of RAM"

Would have liked to see a link for that statement as well. The Linux kernel itself requires more to run. So i kinda doubt it.

Not that its something impossible, the J2ME MIDP profile only requires 384KB of RAM, stick to the UI-less core of CLDC and you can go down as far as 32KB.

Still, my bet is on 256MB in this case.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: "the smallest version can fit in 256 KB of RAM"

> The Linux kernel itself requires more to run. So i kinda doubt it.

I used to run a Linux distro (FreeSCO) that booted off a 1.44Mb diskette and ran on a 20Mb 80386. Granted it was a 2.4 kernel.

Puppy Linux can run on a 64Mb machine with a GUI and useful applications, though 128Mb would be better.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MinimumSystemRequirements

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Oh Homer
    Paris Hilton

No pics?

OK, have a video.

4. Stuart Van Onselen

Sueballs?

At least by then the Samsung lawyers will have had lots of practice at swatting them back.

Still, sueballs suck donkey-balls, and retard innovation, regardless of lawyerly competence. The process is inevitable drawn-out and generates FUD faster than an elephant with diarrhoea generates poop.

5. Popup

256kB is not a lot - but I don't think it's entirely impossible to run a seriously stripped-down linux in such a small machine. There are fairly fully featured projects such as µClinux that run well with a couple of Mb. And there are other variants that are even smaller.

6. hammarbtyp

Why weren't we told?

"for those unfamiliar with the idea, it's a smartphone that can't make voice calls but has an interchangeable lens and can upload photos"

You can make voice calls with smart phones!!! Wonders will never cease

7. Ken 16 Silver badge

I like Bada and look forward to seeing what's done with Tizen

I've got a Wave s8500 (no I didn't pay full price) and I like the build quality, the display, the video camera, call quality and battery life, plus the way I can turn it off and have alarms ring anyway. Android is great, I love the app infrastructure but it does miss out some of those features that gave feature phones their name. I think phone/hardware makers should have a bigger input to OS design than Google allows.

8. Sheep!

"because the law department is where innovation goes to die."

Amen to that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like