back to article Why build a cloud when you can get one ready made?

We small business sysadmins don't get the luxury of doing as we are told. If I built all my networks according to all the whitepapers I am given and used the industry best-practice vendors and products, then none of my customers would be able to afford networks at all. Not to put too fine a point on it, the simplest industry …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christian Berger

Yes, why use your brain when you can just spend money?

Seriously running a mailserver is something trivial. You can train it for spam automatically in a matter of minutes, and easily add a cron job.

And for your 25 client company you don't need active directory. You can do that manually. In fact most systems now have idiot-proof ways to add and remove users.

Outsourcing e-mail is just plain wrong, and even if you are to incompetent to set up your own mailserver you can always get to a small hosting provider offering you some decent hosted e-mail package.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Yes, why use your brain when you can just spend money?

"Don't outsource your e-mail, use a small hosting provider."

The fuck, what?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yes, why use your brain when you can just spend money?

Have you ever even supported an SMB? What about a heap of them? I have and Trevor's article rings true on many accounts. I have been advocating the outsourcing of email ever since it got commoditised... it can save business a lot of money to do so. Email isn't just about having a simple SNMP server with a few Pop3 / imap mailboxes... users demand so much more. In fact the mail difference between a small business and a large business' IT requirements is scale - the basics remain the same. Unfortunately SMB's don't have the budget of larger businesses.

On the Active Directory subject, no, it is not required, but it makes things a lot easier (and ultimately cheaper)... AD, GPO's, Application deployment via GPO, AAA, Single Sign-on across your domain, user profile redirection and home drives are just a few of the things which make things easier for both the business and the sysadmins.

2. CAPS LOCK

Yeah. throw your lot in with MS....

... what could possibly go wrong.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Re: Yeah. throw your lot in with MS....

"Microsoft's solution isn't perfect. ... Its approach will meet most needs for most people."

That's been their successful business model, their software is good enough for most people most of the time and I can't see why it won't work here. There will be niches it won't fill but they should be able to cater to the mass market, especially those already committed to other MS products. What other mass market software house would you put your money on?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's the real Trevor!

A logical, focused article about a Microsoft product? Where is the bashing?!!!? Where is the chair throwing?!?! Where is the $$$$ in Micro$oft?!?!? Above all else, where is the "When Merica invades Canadia, we'll be ready and we'll win that war!!1!1".

Trevor frees himself of his beard and now he is writing good articles again... coincidence, I think not!

Re: Where's the real Trevor!

Your brain only has two states, doesn't it? Everything is binary. 1 or 0. I loathe Microsoft's licensing department with the burning passion of 10,000 suns. I think the endpoint people are the organised and led by the most arrogant, out of touch douchnozzles on the face of the earth. I think Azure and Office 365 are overpriced when compared to proper alternatives and I'm not afraid for a half a second to call Microsoft on it.

That said, Microsoft does employ some of the most brilliant people in the world, their server division is amazing and Satya Nadalla actually seems to have the barest glimmerings of clue about how to price things. He might even use metrics to inform decisions rather than justify them. Where and when Microsoft is deserving of praise, has stumbled into a good idea or simply is inevitable, I will write about that too.

It is a terrible thing, however, that you can't accept the world isn't as binary are your limited mental faculties. There are other possible states; reality - not to mention human behavioural characteristics - are quantum in their diversity. When you grow up some, you might be capable of nuanced analysis rather than blatant brand tribalism. We all anticipate that day.

P.S. I don't honestly believe Canada would win a war with the US. We would, however, take so many of the bastards to hell with us as to make such a war unbelievably costly and highly unprofitable. A bunch of paupers with little more than sand and caves held off the mighty US of A. A technologically advanced nation within missile range of their major cities could inflict genocidal damage, even with good old conventional weapons. Again, however, that requires a type of complex, non-binary thinking you have clearly demonstrated yourself to be incapable - or unwilling - to be party to. More's the pity.

1. jdzions

" I loathe Microsoft's licensing department with the burning passion of 10,000 suns. I think the endpoint people are the organised and led by the most arrogant, out of touch douchnozzles on the face of the earth."

You've never met an Oracle sales person, have you.

2. Ken 16 Silver badge
        Trollface

Once the Republique de Quebec joins the EU, you can have French nuclear subs in the Saint-Laurent to even things up. :-p

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trevor Potts = Snow Patrol fan?

If you want to really light up your writing, it might be worth lighting up a thesaurus.

Re: Trevor Potts = Snow Patrol fan?

There's no S in my family name, you pugnacious troglodyte.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Trevor Potts = Snow Patrol fan?

Lighten up Potts.

5. majorursa
    Facepalm

Getting quagmired even further?

My clients wouldn't be pleased at all if I suggested that they get even further entangled in the MS jungle. Most of them are trying hard to get rid of them asap.

Why would you use Azure with its obvious attempts to lock you into the Windows world, when that world is already crumbling AND there are so much better alternatives in the open source world.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like