back to article Feeling twitchy about nasty IE 0-day? Microsoft promises relief today

An unpatched flaw in Internet Explorer that become the topic of a high-profile warning over the weekend will be patched later on Tuesday, Microsoft promises. The CVE-2013-3918 vulnerability, affecting an Internet Explorer ActiveX Control, shipped up in active attacks detected by net security firm FireEye, sparking a high- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well..

I'll be honest, I wouldn't stick one of my nice pristine TIFFs directly into MS Office anyway, as they tend to be Prophoto and more than eight bits per channel too, and I don't trust it not to clip the colourspace horribly.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really? Some person still uses IE?

3. Roland6 Silver badge

MS WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE - ZERO DAY EXPLOIT?

MS have just demonstrated that it is quite capable of deploying it's own zero day exploits.

Middle of working on my windows 8 laptop and get a locked screen with banner across it saying "Get Windows 8.1 for free. Go to the Store to see what's new and get the update. You can keep using your PC while it downloads." The only option available is to click the "Go to the Store" button in the banner - all other methods I could think off failed to dismiss the banner.

Fortunately once the Store app is open, control is relinquished and you can exit back to the desktop - however next time...

1. Kay Burley ate my hamster

Re: MS WINDOWS 8.1 UPDATE - ZERO DAY EXPLOIT?

They do that a lot these days, making you say Yes to say No.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> making you say Yes to say No.

Standard form for an abusive relationship - "the user said no but we could tell that the coy little tease really wanted it"

(see also: Java security patches with Ask shitebar, anything Real Networks put their clammy hands on, almost every generic download site now...)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Oh dearie me MS, I so want to believe you no longer need the naughty step...

...but all these years after United States v. Microsoft Corp. you still need to reboot my freshly-booted-not-even-one-app-launched-not-even-a-browser Win7/64 system after installing just IE11 via Windows Update.

This just makes me quietly sad, wherever that sits on the Kübler-Ross grief model. Probably a roomful of MS engineers somewhere feel even worse, cursing the strategic suits that concocted this brilliant wheeze to beat Netscape nearly two decades ago. I'll drink with them to a future unshackled from such long tails of shittyness (it's actually on Parallel Earth in the 27th dimension, but luckily the beer there is very nice too)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like