back to article Japanese PM holds on for dear life in self-driving car

Nissan took one of its self-driving cars onto the congested streets of Tokyo for the first time last weekend, with a rather sceptical looking VIP (very important passenger) in tow. Japanese PM Shinzo Abe took a brief spin in the ‘Autonomous Drive’ car on Saturday, as well as similar models from Toyota and Honda, ahead of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooops!

"This Video Is Private"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ooops!

look instead at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNAD_VY0Qjc

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEPdvl3OFk0

2. Chairo

risk-averse drivers

So in APAC: Japan yes, China, Indonesia and Thailand no

You obviously never drove over the Tokyo city highway. It's like Mario Kart without bananas.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: risk-averse drivers

Clearly never heard of bosozoku either. God speed you, Black Emperors!

Key question - will it drift?

3. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Facepalm

Sir

"his left hand clamped firmly"

Shenanigans!

He quite clearly is using the 'door handle' as an arm rest (it actually looks like it was designed well and supports the arm at a comfy angle) and was doing so in a relaxed manner from the moment he put on his seatbelt.

Sensationalist bullshit El Reg - shame on you.

And then I remembered the red top :/

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Sir

Agreed. If anything the back-up driver looked a bit nervous, he kept his hands at the ready to grab the wheel the entire time, just in case.

4. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I hope self driving cars will be well marked

so I can just ignore them and concentrate on avoiding the idiots "who are really good drivers and don't need a computer to tell them what to do".

1. WraithCadmus

Re: I hope self driving cars will be well marked

^--- This!

Remember folks, 80% of drivers consider themselves above average.

5. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Go

Bring it on!

I can't wait to have a car which can drive the kids to school/sport, drop me at work then park for free a couple of kays away, take me to & from the pub, etc. I might even share/co-own one with the neighbours.

1. JCitizen
      Pint

Re: Bring it on!

Right on Martin Budden! I can't wait! I can see it now as I am pulled over by the police.

WAZZAT OCIFER! NAAH I AIN"T DRIVIN" THE ROBOT IS! DAS-RIGHT- I IS DANG SURE DRUNKS OCIFER - I DIDN"T DO IT - I SWEARS!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like