back to article Google to web: SHUT YOUR MOUTH or Chrome 32 beta will do it for you

We're all been there. You fire up a web browser, open loads of tabs for further perusal and suddenly the office is full of noise from an advert proclaiming that in 15 minutes or less you can save on your car insurance – and you've no clue which tab it's in. Now the boys and girls on Google's Chrome browser team have finished …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

"We've all been there. You fire up a web browser, open loads of tabs for further perusal and suddenly the office is full of noise from an advert proclaiming that in 15 minutes or less you can save on your car insurance – and you've no clue which tab it's in."

===================================

Not me.

Settings > Advanced Settings > Content Settings > Plug-ins > Click-to-Play

Plus AdBlock, Ghostery extensions.

Solved.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

You'd think if this is so common why had no browser done it before.

But now it has been done I predict this will be everyone's browser update list.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finally!

Hmmm… Anti-Google sense tingling. This is a way for Google to shut off noisy adverts, which are all from the competition!

But in this case, I'll give them a pass. Those ads are fecking annoying.

1. Steven Raith

Re: Finally!

"Hmmm… Anti-Google sense tingling. This is a way for Google to shut off noisy adverts, which are all from the sort of contemptuous pricks who don't deserve to be given the right to display anything in any browser, ever!"

Fixed that for you.

4. bigphil9009

Obligatory

http://xkcd.com/1280/

:)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now they just need to add an icon for tabs that are snorking up a whole core of CPU for no damn reason.

6. sabroni Silver badge

So no support for google apps on Chrome 30 anymore then?

It's goose sauce, after all!

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Or...

You could just turn the speaker off if you're not actively using it.

Or is that not in the spirit of the always-connected world?

(Adblock+ has already been mentioned, so I won't...)

1. ratfox

Re: Or...

Turning the speaker off would be fine, except I'm listening to music. Possibly even from YouTube, on a different tab of the same browser…

2. Tom 13

Re: Or...

I don't have a problem with them making a big block for the video on the screen. But the damn thing should start paused and not run until I click on it. And not just in the frelling ads, in the main screens as well. Sometimes I'm just trawling for the text not the massive gobs of wasted bandwidth for a vid that isn't going to show me something that couldn't be put into words and use less bandwidth.

No where's the old fart with the "you kids get of my lawn" icon?

8. Blacklight
    Black Helicopters

AdBlock?

But will it make it into/remain on the Chrome extension store once "sideloading" is blocked?

Guess I'm stopping with Iron....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adblock edge + Beef TACO + BetterPrivacy + Disable Anti-Adblock + NoScript + ShareMeNot + Ghostery

plus custom blocks on certan things and I still suffer.

The Disable Anti-Adblock is a new one though.

10. BigAndos

How about a feature to disable those irritating "please fill in a survey on our site" pop-overs? Or is there a way to do that already?

1. silent_count

NoScript

11. Killraven
    Thumb Up

Excellent idea.

Even though there may be other options, I think this is an excellent thing to have built in. Especially since the change also uses indicators for other useful situations as well which, based on earlier comments, not everybody seems to have bothered reading before commenting.

I'll be looking forward to FireFox doing the same though, as I won't use Chrome since they still won't let me put the tabs underneath the address- and shortcut-bars, where they belong.

1. Anonymous Crowbar

Re: Excellent idea.

>I'll be looking forward to FireFox doing the same though, as I won't use Chrome since they still won't let me >put the tabs underneath the address- and shortcut-bars, where they belong.

Same. I refuse to use Chrome until they allow me move my tabs where I want. Until then its Waterfox or Firefox for me.

12. WraithCadmus
    Mushroom

My policy on ads is fairly relaxed

I have adblock but very rarely use it, however if you start playing audio without my asking...

I block that ad

I block the affiliate ads

I block all other ads on that page

I leave your site

Icon: The only way to be sure

13. MrRtd

Good

Any advertiser or website that has auto-play media, deserves to burn in internet hell!

14. Sheep!
    Thumb Up

Icon says it all

Big thumbs up for this one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like