back to article Apple ships cures for Mail, iBooks, MacBook Pro maladies

Well, that was quick. Apple has released bug fixes for two of the troubled OS X Mavericks apps that have been causing headaches among users who have updated to that operating system, and has also released a fix for troubles plaguing the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. iBooks and Mail for Mavericks updates as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. SJG

Cisco VPN also fixed ?

After upgrading to Mavericks, Cisco Anyconnect VPN seemed to be totally broken. After this update it seems to be back working perfectly. It could all be a coincidence of course ......

1. Ilsa Loving

Re: Cisco VPN also fixed ?

I have v3.1.04059 and haven't had any problems.

2. Wibble

Mouse problems fixed?

After upgrading to Mavericks, VMWare has problems with mouse clicks (double & triple clicking) and Firefox occasionally stops scrolling. That's not been fixed yet:-(

3. OrsonX
    Coffee/keyboard

Mavericks

MBP 13" 2009, liking it MUCH better than Mountain Goat.

My issue, when running the battery lasts ages. Brill! But when I close the lid and come back to it the battery only has <30min left. Not so much hibernating as midnight feasting.

1. Stacy

Re: Mavericks

2011 MacBook Pro and I noticed this (though not so pronounced). 100% when closing the lid, and only 70% the next morning. Leave it sleeping for more than a couple of days and it's dead.

Much worse than it was.

1. Mike Bell

"Leave it sleeping for more than a couple of days and it's dead."

Your particular laptop is likely in 'clamshell' mode, not sleeping. Check your console log for occurrences of 'clamshell'.

1. Stacy

Seeing as I am not that familiar with OSX - I'm going to ask how? (Which log, and where do I find it).

What I do know is that the according to manual it's sleeping (the light cycles glowing and out as it's supposed to and when you wake it up you have to log in).

Before the upgrade it would last about a week or so whist sleeping.

1. Mike Bell

@Stacy

Click Spotlight (magnifying glass at the top right) and type Console. That will find the console app for you. In the search box, have a look for words like clamshell, sleep and so on. The dates/times and event descriptions might be a pointer. As I mentioned, if your laptop is in clamshell mode it will be consuming resources. You won't find clamshell in the log, otherwise.

1. Stacy

Thanks Mike, I'll take a look!

2. Stacy

Thanks for the advice, but finally got around to checking it and it is definitely sleeping - that is logged each time I shut the lid, and clamshell never appears.

I guess Mavericks is just much worse with consuming resources whilst sleeping :(

4. beast666

Thanks Apple!

I now get a wonky OSX for free... For my Hackintosh that is! Makes things much easier.... works a treat in every way despite your schoolboy attempts to stop it! Mwaa ha ha

5. Northern-Alf

And as for internet sharing...

I've given up waiting / talking to Apple to get them to fix their internet sharing (allow other Ethernet connected devices to gateway out to t'interweb via an iMac's wifi connection)... Worked splendidly on Lion, broke when upgraded to Mountain Lion and still borked on Mavericks.

Talking to Apple tech support is like trying to explain the problem to my 10 year old daughter, while she's distracted by iCarly.

I've always liked Apple's products but over the last couple of years their software has really started to suffer in terms of QA and the much vaunted 'just works' motif.

1. El_Fev

Re: And as for internet sharing...

Why would you do that ? Don't you have a wifi router ? Why are you trying to turn your macbook into a Access point? I assume you are at your home and unless you have an old fashioned router and the macbook is wired into ti , its simpler and safer to buy and access point to connect to the router rather than use your macbook, they cost like £15

6. nanchatte

So far nothing to report

Works as smoothly as we'll and quickly as popular favorite snow leopard for anything I use it for. Ymmv.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like