back to article IT finance bod coughs to slurping £130k from customers' accounts

IT finance provider Syscap account manager Leigh Jones has been sentenced to 24 months in jail after pleading guilty to nicking more than £100,000 from customers. Jailbird Jones, 40, found that his six-figure earnings weren't enough to fund his spiralling gambling habit. A clerk at Chester Crown Court confirmed to us that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF?

do they have no procedures or auditing?

$5.7 M warranty fraud.

then their staff dipping into customer accounts for a year.

1. codeusirae
      Devil

WTF: do they have no procedures or auditing?

Yea, they got the account manager to carry-out the audit ..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CIsco's FY2013 revenue was $48.6 billion.

Presumably they do audit it, but that's a fair amount of money to audit, so it doesn't happen overnight (ie, audits take place some time after accounts, for obvious reasons). He nicked 130k, they caught him.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

After his replacement noticed something odd.

Not after an Audit.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

One of the things auditors look for is accounts staff that never take holidays. The fact that he was caught while on holiday is significant.

3. JaitcH
    FAIL

I thought CISCO only leaked data, not cash

If this guy hadn't taken a break, I wonder how long it would have taken CISCO to cotton on to this leak?

If you Google: "cisco money theft" you'll see CISCO has numerous activities involving fraud.

A CISCO report cited by PC World included the line: "However, many banks are not sophisticated enough to do this, and the money is lost."

I guess CISCO'S "sophistication" is somewhat lacking, too.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: I thought CISCO only leaked data, not cash

What I don't understand is firstly, why was the person tasked with collecting direct debits from customers allowed to make payments out of the bank account. Secondly, the only payments going out of the collections account should be to the main current account, and that should be managed by the payables department, not the receivables department.

This topic is closed for new posts.