back to article Sail HO! Look out Bay Area - it's the Google Galleon

The mysterious Google vessel floating in San Francisco Bay is to feature towering sails enabling it to cruise around exhibiting the wonders of technology to an astonished coast, it has been reported. According to a report in the San Francisco Chronicle, the barge will be an “unprecedented artistic structure” boasting about a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Will Wykeham

By and Large

By and Large was probably chosen not because it rhymed with barge but more for the origin of the phrase, which is an old Royal Navy sailing term.

A vessel that could sail close to or "By" the wind, and that could also sail away from or "Large" to the wind, was a good all rounder. Referring to "By and Large" meant referring to most circumstances.

If they're putting sails on the barges, that would be my bet as to why it was chosen!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: By and Large

Or alternatively, By & Large was the name of the global mega corp in Wall-E.....

You decide which which is the most likely pun!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not to mention Burn-E the short film related Wall-E and well worth watching.

By the way, I think it was "Buy" rather than "By" in the films.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Will Wykeham,

I thought the correct nautical term was Bring & Buy. And one flew a blue peter in order to signal ones willingness to engage in tat-based commerce.

This was often signalled by the well know phrase, "by the multi-coloured Swapshop of Noel Edmonds, that be a hideous jumper!"

[It's Friday, it's late. I may be becoming hysterical...]

1. jjk

@I ain't Spartacus: The original explanation was the correct one, as any reader of Patrick O'Brian can confirm. (Dr. Maturin gets hoist by his own petard when he - pitiful lubber that he is - tries to use the term to impress a colleague.)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ Spartacus

I thought that the expression "to be well-known" was actually quite well-known.

2. hplasm
    Coat

At least:-

"Baal is a three-headed demon with a spider's body and tonnes of spider legs,"

- it's a European conspiracy...

3. Adrian Jones
    Black Helicopters

Three barges?

BAL0010 and BAL0011? What about BAL0001? Does anyone know where that is?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Three barges?

They're in the computer industry, so where's BAL0000 too.

2. mraak
      Black Helicopters

Re: Three barges?

Maybe up the Potomac river, around Langley VA?

4. i like crisps
    Trollface

"Barge 500 yards of our Port bow sir!!"......

..."Load tubes 1 and 2 and prepare to fire!!!"..........I can but dream.....

5. xyz Silver badge

3 barges or 3 arks???

> Google would back up the internet on the two barges, as well as an even creepier third one

Is the B "barge" where they are going to stick all the Facebook and Twitter stuff?

6. CyberMatt

Delaware, delawhen...

"Corporation Service Company" is actually the name of an outfit based in Delaware. They act as an HQ address and mail forwarding service, among other things, for Delaware companies. A lot of US corporations tend to get created in Delaware, as that state has relatively relaxed and speedy company formation laws.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Delaware, delawhen...

Every Delaware corporation must have a registered address in Delaware, which is where these agents and "Corporation Service" companies make their money.

It's the same as in the Bahamas, or Gibraltar, or the BVI, or the Caymans, or Monaco, or Nevada for that matter, which is why Delaware and Nevada are also considered 'tax havens' by the OECD.

:-)

7. Frederic Bloggs

Another "Eye of Sauron" transport mechanism?

They could get yet another view of the world from their barges and, obviously, do some extra erm... triangulation on all those (open, obviously) wifi hotspots that they will be able to "see" along their journeys around the bay and up river.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Another "Eye of Sauron" transport mechanism?

Funny you should mention him. As BAL is also the first 3 letters of Balrog - which is what first sprung to my mind - rather than Baal.

On the other hand, it's also the first 3 letters of Balloon. Which is a far friendlier word. It's definitely better to think balloon than balrog. Life is less stressful that way. Right up to the point when a huge bloke with burning hair whips you, then sticks his sword through you.

8. Peter Simpson 1
    Coat

East coast of the US

Hurricane season is about to start...hope they can reef those sails quickly., or they'll be in deep...water.

//arrrr...sextant in me pea coat...

1. Tom_

Re: East coast of the US

What? It's November.

9. sandman

Cape Fear River

If you're ever in Wilmington, take a boat trip up the river - it is a bit spooky, increased salinity in the river has caused many of the trees along the banks to die, so there are all these bleached skeletal trees there… (lots of them have nesting Ospreys, very cool, but distracts from the spookiness).

10. Fibbles

Anyone else struggling to keep images of The Crimson Permanent Assurance out of their heads whilst reading about Google's new boat?

11. Thecowking

Silly people

Baal is a Goa'uld with the greatest bad-guy accent ever.

As I recall he did build a business empire on Earth once, or a clone of him did. What happens when you tell Google to Kree?

12. Lars Silver badge
    Pint

I would assume

They are preparing for Water World.

13. frank ly

Reassurance?

'...an array of sails “reminiscent of fish fins, which will remind visitors that they are on a seaworthy vessel". '

Fish swim under the suface of the water.

14. Sandtreader

For small values of "seaworthy"

I like the fact that they will take down the sails when the wind blows. Very wise with an AVS probably not more than 30%...

(good call on By and Large, Capn' Wykeham)

15. Elmer Phud

Twetter

Twitter has just floated, Google have floated too.

But which is the bigger floater?

16. Trevor 3

BAL0010 and BAL0011?

That is obviously BAL 2 and BAL 3.

So where is the mothership....WHERE IS IT?!?!?!

17. Michael Hawkes
    Pirate

Preparing for battle

They plan to engage with and destroy the Crimson Permanent Assurance. It's Eric Schmidt's plan for revenge dating back to when he was a Midshipman for Bell Labs.

18. Walt Leipold

"Wilmington", yes...

...but not the one in the Carolinas. Wilmington, Delaware (on a different river) is home to many corporations, because of Delaware's corporate governance laws. We used to be the "Chemical Capital of the World", too, back when that phrase didn't creep people out.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Snow Crash

20. saundby

Open the pod bay doors please, BAL

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like